Difference between RM "Pause" and RM "Stop"

2.2.4.158 C-7

Thanks
John

If you have a rule that has some time schedules, when you pause the rule, those schedules remain. i.e. the rule will run on schedule but not actually do anything as it is paused.
If you stop the rule you will see that these time schedules disappear, therefore the rule will never run.
When you start the rule again you see the schedules re-appear again.

This is my understanding but could be (more than likely) wrong.
Test it and you will see what I mean.

EDIT. I see the RM guru is typing. My breath is bated. :wink:

4 Likes

With Pause, all of the rule's subscriptions and schedules remain intact. When a trigger fires or a scheduled event happens, the rule discovers that it is paused, and exits. The rule can be resumed by another rule or through the UI for the rule.

With Stop, all of the rule's subscriptions and schedules are removed. The rule has to be restarted through the UI for the rule. It is as if the rule was never initialized to begin with.

11 Likes

Hi @bravenel, after clicking in stop, if I click the button "done" the rule comes back to previous status before clicking stop. The stop only gets effective when I don't click the button Done. Is there an issue on it? thanks.

This is the expected behavior. Stop returns a rule to it's un-initialized state (no schedules or event subscriptions), and Done causes it to be initialized. Initialization creates the schedules and subscription events, thus making the rule live (not stopped).

1 Like

Would it be possible to have stop and initialise a rule as an action just like you have pause and resume as actions?

initialise ?? Do you mean install? If so, no, because it's not installed yet for any other rule to see.

Late to the party but this sure give me a good chuckle.

Right ok,

I'm asking because I have a rule that is easily triggered and so it uses a lot of unnecessary processing power. It only ever needs to run when the place is in a specific mode. However there are no restrictions in RM4.0. So I created another rule that pauses and resumes this rule so that it is only resumed during that specific mode - however I can see it is still being triggered because of what you put above re: schedules and subscriptions. Thats why I was wondering if there is a way to completely stop and start a rule from another rule

No, but I think you over-thinking this and worrying unnecessarily about the load on your hub.

It would be perhaps helpful if clicking "Stop" changed the "Done" button to "Exit", so that the Rule isn't restarted. That Done resets the Stop is inconsistent and unexpected - especially since there is no "Exit" button (the only way to "Exit" is to click on the left-hand menu, or use "Back" in your browser).

Also, IMHO, the ONLY way to undo a Stop should be to click the Start button at the top of the rule.

1 Like

I think the suggestion made elsewhere about clicking Stop changing Done to Start would make sense. Then it becomes more obvious that is what will happen. You could exit the rule some other way, leaving it uninstalled if you want. Changing the action of that particular button is not possible, only its wording.

1 Like

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I really like that proposed solution...

Actually, when you hit Stop, it changes to Start. An easier (for me) solution is to just hide the Done button in that circumstance.

So easy, it's already done and tested... Next build.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.