Diagnosing Full Event Queue

I'd still make every effort to use the lightest app for any given purpose. It's hard to gauge performance of apps but going by my perceptions, zmc works great for a trigger in any app. I use it even when there is just one motion sensor as it allows me to extend the active windows without triggering rules a bunch. Also lets me have multiple activation windows for different circumstances.

2 Likes

Bryan, that is totally fair. I was just trying to solve for a motion aggregation problem (I was using RM4 and even a simple rule was taking >1000 ms to run). And because it was ~16 motion sensors across a busy house, it was firing constantly, creating a big load. So off I went to find another way to do motion agg. Someone suggested I try your Event Engine to do the motion agg. Which I guess (I've now learned) is a bit like driving to the grocery store in a Lambo.

So, when I say ZMC was the clear winner, it's not a value judgment about RM or EE. Only a narrow comment that, if one is trying to aggregate motion (and that's it), ZMC is the most efficient way to perform that one task.

All that said, I'm going to continue to use RM and EE, for the many more/other ways they operate!

3 Likes

i have changed my event enginge "things quiet down" rule to use a motion zone set for 10 minutes, instead of having the multiple motion sensors and the 10 minute delay in event engine.. will see if i notice any difference..

yup. And to your earlier point, you can still use Event Engine to drive action and more complex logic, but now you only need to use the one virtual sensor from ZMC instead.