DHCP Handshake won't complete

I'm trying to get my new C7 on my network, but it doesn't seem to ever complete the DHCP handshake. It keeps spamming DHCP DISCOVER every 3-15 seconds which is responded to with a DHCP OFFER, but the DHCP REQUEST never occurs.

My DCHP server is dhcpd running on pfSense 2.4.5-RELEASE-p1. I have tried unplugging the power and waiting, the network connection while powered and waiting, but it's the same behavior of not getting an ip assigned. I have tried statically assigning an ip address to the mac address of the hub as well as no assignment, but same result.

Welcome to the HE community sorry you started here with troubles, but we'll get you back on track.

I've seen it posted that some hubs have had issue with auto negotiate. In the post below they got it working by manually setting the port to 100FDX.

Once you can talk to the hub you can see this post for a link to disable auto neg off. Once off you can change you port back, and have everything play nice. There might even be a firmware fix for it once you get it running. I'm not 100% sure being that my C7 is still in the box.

Let us know if that gets you going or not.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is a possibility but is there a free DHCP address available in your allocation pool range ? I would guess that because a DHCP was made there is but I don’t know if DHCP works like that.

I know I got flustered by all pool addresses being in use once.

1 Like

THANK YOU! I was going crazy swapping it around on my switch, I saw it auto negotiate at 100 FDX correctly in the port status so I thought I was good, but that was not the case. I haven't tried disabling yet... just happy to have the hub reachable.

1 Like

:slight_smile: thanks for the hint, yeah that was the one of the first things I checked on as I saw other posts about that being an issue.