Devices Started Turning On At Specific Time With No Trigger

Hi,

I would not consider myself a novice, but my issue is so basic this seemed like the best place to post it..

I have had HE C-7 setup and running well for the past 6 months after moving from SmartThings after 3 years...wish I made the switch sooner.

Anyway, everything has been running fine with no issues, then suddenly 2 weeks ago I noticed several of my lights on at a time they should be off. I checked the logs and see the individual devices turning on at 10:28 AM. This has continued on weekday days for the past weeks. One group of lights is in a scene and the others are in a group. All showing turned on at 10:28 AM.

I assumed I had a simple automation rule or a RM rule that has gone wonky or is messed up. I don't have a ton, but I prefer all these lights to be controlled via automation so that seems like the logical cause. I checked each one, and none of them are set for 10:28 AM or a sunrise/sunset offset that would put a turn on event around that time. Also, I have no simple automation rule or RM rule that controls both the scene and the grouped devices together.

After not finding anything, I recreated and then deleted all rules and scenes with these devices in case there was some orphaned thing out there. That did not help.

I have Google Home integrated and Maker API on and I double checked there is nothing through those that would cause this.

It is strange this started randomly and I think I got a hub update around then...should I try to rollback the hub software?

Any now for the real novice question...are there more detailed logs somewhere? I have logging turned on for all the devices and rules. There is nothing other than device X is on. Is there somewhere else deeper I can look?

Just for info, Devices Impacted:
3 Hue Bulbs integrated via HE Hue App
2 Zigbee bulbs
2 Zigbee outlets

Thanks for any help or direction you can give.

Check to make sure that you don't have Hunches turned on for GH. I've seen a few posts where it, the Alexa version, and Alexa Guard have suddenly decided to "help" us mere mortals.

hue bulbs will turn on at least for me after firmware update or power outages/glitches. the other ones i cannot speak to.

also just as a test you can see what rules impact devices at the bottom of the device page.. you could delete or disable any that affect the device temporarly and see if it still occurs. that would rule out the hub itself or any of its rules.

i have added rules to many of my hue lights to auto turn off it they turn on due to power fluctuations in the middle of the night.

only drawback if you try to turn on and they immediately turn off while you are looking for something in the middle of the night and are pissed if you forget about the rule..

Thanks, I don't have Alexa and a google search didn't show Google Assistant as having Hunches yet.

However, I am part of the Google Assistant Beta program so your theory may still have merit. I will turn off my Google integration for these devices next week and see if they don't turn on.

Thanks, it has been happening every weekday for the past 2 weeks, so don't think it is PF or firmware. I also have my Hue bulbs set to go to last state after a PF. Hue added this setting to the firmware a year or so ago. That seems to work pretty well for the few occasions we lose power, so you might not need your rule.

The devices (or the group and scene activator) do show rules where they are used. I checked and even re-created those rules as fresh new rules. That was the first place I looked. I feel like I might have an orphaned rule or something that does not show up on the device lists and was hoping there might be a lower level log were I see something like that interacting with the devices.

I have them set to last state. .and it doesnt work.. at least for me.. they still come on. you can always remove and re-add one of the problem devices if you feel you have orphaned rules, that will stop that cold.

Ah that sucks it doesn't work, so good at least the rule works. I remember a power blip before the last state update in the middle of the night where everything turned on full blast waking everyone up...i made a webcore rule back then too.

Yep, removing the devices might be the step to finally fix it, but no knowing the WHY is killing me. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.