Devices Keep Deleting Themselves From The Google Home App

I have a handful of Sylvannia Lightify Bulbs. Hubitat handles them fine, and is able to control them just fine. At some point four of the eighteen suddenly stopped working with Google Home. I checked and they had been removed from the "Which Devices?" list within the Google Home app on my hubitat. The problem is if I re-add them, they kicked back off as soon as I open the Android Google Home app on my phone.

The lights worked fine for ~six months or so. I've tried reinstalling the Google Home App on my hubitat hub, and I've tried disconnecting hubitat from Google and reconnecting the service. Still the same devices just refuse to stay connected. I've also removed and re-added the devices. I have also tried changing the "Type" under the Device Information, in hopes that would have any effect.

I'd say that these bulbs just aren't supported, but all the other bulbs on the system are the same kind. So I don't know why these four lights are seemingly being blocked out.

I have not fully reset my hub, but I'm avoiding that unless I absolutely must. So I'm really looking for any information on how I can better debug why these lights are being such a problem. I'm out of ideas myself.

Thanks!

1 Like

The google app in HE will automatically remove all devices that are not supported. You have to make sure that all the devices you are trying to pair are displaying all of the correct attributes in HE. For example, the display the switch status and dimmer level and a CT for CT bulbs. That way, you Google knows what the devices is.

If you do that, you have to make sure that you hit configure after otherwise the device will not operate correctly. Also, this will likely do more harm than good as the correct driver was selected at pairing.

I assume when you say to make sure I hit "configure" after making changes, you just mean to hit "Save Device" after hitting the changes?

Usually I make the changes to the device, then hit "Save Device", then run the command "Sync Devices" on google assistant. That immediately kicks the device back out of the Google Home Hubitat App.

This is the light that is not working.

This is the light that is working

Both are identical devices, so in theory should work fine with the same device settings.

You aren't showing the settings or the attributes though. The device has to have the correct attributes assigned based on the capabilities of the device. Can you show the rest of that page?

Here are screenshots of the rest of that page.
The not working one

The one that works fine

Okay...so, you say that they are "deleting themselves"? You mean that after you add them to the Google App in HE, they are then removed at a later time? What is displayed in the logs?

No, I meant that after changing the driver, you have to hit configure after you hit save.

Yes, that is what I mean. And the log just says that the device is incompatible. ...but the device was fine for six months, and identical devices are still working.

`app:1292020-01-19 08:01:51.177 pm warnThe following devices are not supported by Google Home and will be removed from your device list:[Couch Back Lighting]`

Where is the "Configure" option after I save? Are you just saying to sync devices after I've saved adding it to the Google Home Hubitat App?

Thanks for helping me with this so far, and sorry for the delay. Was away from home for a few days.

First of all, something with the devices had to change. If not, they would have still been working. So, what did you change? Did you change the driver that was assigned to them? Did you change something about their configuration?

What type of device is Couch Back Lighting? And by that I mean Brand and Model number if you have it.

I mean, after you change what driver a device is using, you first have to hit save device and then you have to hit Configure.

Please show a screenshot (a whole screenshot) of the edit device page for Couch Back Lighting from Hubitat's UI.

Nothing changed that I'm aware when they originally stopped. Just one day that stopped responding to Google commands, so I started digging and noticed they had disappeared from the Google Home Android app. ...that's when I started trying to look into Hubitat and discovered they were missing.

I've tried removing, resetting and repairing a couple of the troublesome lights and no luck.

When the bulbs initially connected their type was "Generic Zigbee RGBW Light". But at one other point over the course of a couple months a lot of the bulbs one by one stopped communicating with the Hubitat hub all together. One person's solution was to flip to this "Sengled Element Color Plus" option instead. So far that had seemed to work, until I started having this Google issue.

I have tried flipping them back to "Generic Zigbee RGBW Light" but that doesn't seem to make any immediate difference.

Attached below are the screenshots of the control.
The not working "Behind the Couch" light

The working Desktop Backlighting.

Your lights are missing the colorMode attribute.

There is no possible way that this attribute just removed itself without you doing something. It just doesn't work that way. But we'll just get it working for you.

The driver is set to be a Sengled Element Color Plus. Is that the type of light we are dealing with?

THIS is what I was talking about when I asked if you hit configure. When you change the driver that is assigned (change the type) you have to first click on the Save Device button and then hit configure. So, now that you have it set correctly, hit the configure button. Do you see that? Once you do that, turn the light on (via hubitat) and change if from a specific color to any colorTemp setting and make sure that you have the Color Mode attribute displayed. Once you get that, try and sync it back to Google Home.

1 Like

I see, the configure button is up above amongst the color field and such. I didn't realize that.

So it looks like if I now set it back to "Generic Zigbee RGBW light" or "Sengled Element Color Plus" and hit configure, then refresh the page the "colorMode" state reappears and the device is no longer being flagged as incompatible with Google Home.

Thanks for your help and patience @Ryan780

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.