Devices for sensing water softener cycling?

I have a Hubitat C7 and I have used HPM to download the Aqara drivers. I hope it pairs properly. It should show up this afternoon.

Do you have to use the Mijia app for them to work, or is that just for added features?

I have not used the Mijia app.

My well water has a very strong iron taste and iron content. The softened water is pretty much free of that taste and odor.

When the softener is regenerating it bypasses and delivers untreated well water to the system. No one wants to drink it or shower in hot, iron rich water so I prefer to run as little water as possible during those times. Since the softener is in a crawl space I can't see when it is running to know when to avoid running the water.

2 Likes

Here's how I tackled monitoring our water softener (Waterboss 700) with hubitat...

I use a Raspberry Pi Zero W and two sensors to monitor the water softener, and Maker API to update a custom water softener device, along with a custom app to monitor and report on the softener.

Sensors I used:

A custom hubitat app monitors the water softener device, sends notifications when salt level is low. Optionally sends notifications when regeneration occurs and salt is refilled. Device also has attributes for last generation timestamp, last refill timestamp.
The device uses Battery capability to reflect the salt level, allowing me to show the salt level (and low warnings) nicely in a dashboard.

Note: The key to detecting the water softener cycling was the water flow sensor. I bought three of those units off Amazon before I got a working one -- a bit frustrating at first! But once I got a working one, its worked very reliably.
There was also a fair amount of trial and error with the distance sensor for salt level. I originally used a shorter range sensor but found the longer range sensor gave me more accurate readings.

2 Likes

Sounds like a fall/winter project for me! If you don't mind I'm sure I'll have questions for you. (By chance I have the same softener.)