Devices Fail to Add S2 - Firmware 2.2.3.142

For firmware 2.2.3.142, I'm having problems adding devices with S2 security. When I do, I get the following error:

2020-09-01 02:12:17.888 am warnZ-Wave device id: 6 failed S2 bootstrapping - - Bootstrapping was successful - the device needs to be excluded then included again to use securely.

Also, the error message makes no sense as it says that it failed bootstrapping, but then says bootstrapping was successful. The device then adds with "none" as the security. This was for simple light dimmers (HomeSeer dimmers). Anybody else seeing this?

You are correct, it is the most ridiculous error ever, however this is what the SDK is sending. We have observed this bootstrapping failure with success error code on a few devices. We also confirmed that it is an issue with the device, as we tested them against the Z-Wave reference platform and got the same results.

If its an issue with the device - i.e., the HomeSeer dimmer - what do I do about it? Is this something you guys think can be fixed on the Hubitat side so I just have to wait for the fix, or is the "device" issue something beyond your abilities to fix from the Hubitat side (and, thus, I should abandon any attempt to use S2 with the HomeSeer dimmers).

Basically, I can wait a bit to add them if this is something you guys are addressing and expect to be able to fix. If its a "lost cause" due to HomeSeer errors that you can't fix, then I'll try to add the devices now, but without S2. It looks like you're making steady progress to fixing the C7 issues so hopefully, its just a matter of a short wait.

Any guidance you can offer is appreciated. Thanks.

Many believe you don't really need S2 security on things like switches...locks and other security devices, but on switches...?

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I agree encryption isn't critical for switches. I was trying to include it because I wasn't clear on whether S2 had to be supported on intermediate hops in ZWave - so, e.g., if I have a S2 lock somewhat far from the hub and it needs to pass messages via intermediate switches, I wasn't sure if those intermediate switches needed to be S2 for end-to-end security. Thus, I was trying to add the switches for that purpose "just in case." My guess is the network doesn't have to be S2 for each hop, but that isn't clear.

In any case, if the S2 capability is supposed to be there it should work (or else, if it doesn't, then it should be fully disabled so Hubitat doesn't even try.).

yes abandon S2, and as previously stated this is an issue with the device itself, so there's nothing for us to fix on our end.

4 Likes

Well, it makes absolutely no sense, but the Homeseer dimmers / switches are now adding with S2.

1 Like

Shhh...avoid the jinx. :wink: Glad to hear.

It should be clear. The frames are just a wad of bytes. The first few are called the header and after is the payload. The payload might be encrypted, don't know, don't care. Because as a repeater, all that matters is where to send the message, and that's in the unencrypted header.

To a router, encrypted and unencrypted are identical. Because the payload is not 'inspected', it's just passed along. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to add that I was successful moving about 5 WD200+ dimmer and 5 WS200+ switch over to C-7, but with firmware 2.2.3.135. I used the default S2 checkbox settings, I haven't update my hub to 2.2.3.142 yet, but it's been 5 days and I have no issues with them so far.

My Homeseer Dimmers/Switches is on whatever firmware them came with in Nov 2019.

Interestingly, explorer frames are not passed along by routers if they predate Z-Wave level 4.5x. That's one of the reasons why NWI is such a crapshoot if the components in your network are of mixed vintage.

1 Like

:point_up_2:This is the most common reason why you might have to “move the hub closer”. That’s where this advice came from, old z-wave did not do NWI.

But what if they are not mixed vintages but all the same (ZW+) - it looks like I may still need to move the C-7 hub closer to pair some troublesome switches (a few Zen23/24s are not getting included but others are).

Is this normal for newer devices?

One other tidibit I came across: apparently not all Z-Wave Plus devices (500 series) support explorer frames... from the "Z-Wave Node Type Specification":

"From SDK v4.5x (v4.50 came after v5.02) explorer frames were introduced to improve network resilience and inclusion flexibility."

So unless you know the exact SDK level your device was built on (you can verify this by searching for its compliance statement on Z-Wavealliance.org), it might not have full support for NWI. Version 4.5x may be more feature complete than a v5 device. Sounds crazy....

1 Like

Has the Fibaro Universal Sensor (fgbs-001) been fixed in this new firmware?
i am currently on .135 which still doesnt work with the fgbs-001

The only specific thing I see for Fibaro in this release was a new driver added for Fibaro Smart Implant.

That was in .135 as well...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.