Devices across different google user accounts

I am trying to learn the Hubitat system to setup my first home automation setup. I have a few devices which are currently connected via different user accounts. E.g. my Nest camera are registered and logged in via my wife's google account, but the Nest thermostat is connected to my google account. I understand the limitations in this setup that my wife cannot see my Nest devices in her Home app, and i cannot see the devices under her google account, but there are reasons for that.

Can I setup my Hubitat account to include all these devices together, even though they are registered on different google accounts?

Using my Google SDM API - Nest Integration app/drivers, you could install the app twice, one instance for each Google account, allowing monitoring/control of all devices under one Hubitat.

Ooooh... if this is possible, then it will be amazing. I wanted to make sure this capability exists, before I jump in the Hubitat bandwagon. I will go and place an order now :stuck_out_tongue:

For smart home use, we set up a fake family member that we both know the password to, and it's this fake account that owns all the smart device and camera accounts and adds them to Google

1 Like

I'll follow up with a note that Google has exposed only some of the capabilities through its API. You can check out the API documentation here: Smart Device Management API  |  Device Access  |  Google Developers.

Two capabilities that I know folks have been interested in, that are not exposed, are the ability to turn cameras on/off, and exposure of home/away status from the thermostat. The latter can be worked around using other presence sensors/apps in Hubitat...

1 Like

@Inge_Jones can you elaborate a bit please. So let's say the nest camera are on my google account and the thermostat is on my wife's, then are you saying you create a third google account and move those devices to the new(third) google account? If yes, this approach might not work for me.

As far as possible we try to remember to set up all our apps (eg Sensibo, Tapo) using the family gmail account. But even where we forgot to or couldn;t do that we switch to the family account in the Google Home app before adding any devices to Google Home. Then as that family account, put the devices into the Home "family" shares with the real people in the family. Then you can all use the devices in the home.