Device Firmware Updater Failed

I'm trying to update the firmware of my Leviton Z-wave outlet. After waiting for 12 hours for the firmware to be uploaded to the device, it failed and showed the following error message:

Does anyone know why and what to do? Thank you!

• Which hub?
  • Which hub firmware?
  • Is the device included with or without security?
  • Have you tried disabling the device before starting the update (from the devices page, click the X in the upper right-hand corner, then tick the box next to the device)?
  • Are you positive you have the correct firmware package for the device?
2 Likes

What model Leviton outlet? Are you trying to use an .ota file for the update?

1 Like

So many questions.... :wink:

1 Like

I found the answers in other posts the OP made - it's an OTA file of beta firmware (I'm guessing for the ZW15R).

OP, you need to use these steps to update Leviton ZW devices using their OTA files.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies and help! Really appreciate it. :smiley:

I finally got all devices flashed with the new firmware.

For posterity, here's my situation and what I did (slightly different from linked).

• Which hub?
  • Which hub firmware?
    => C7 (2.3.5.135)
  • Is the device included with or without security?
    => It didn't work with security, so I remove and readded all devices without security.
  • Have you tried disabling the device before starting the update (from the devices page, click the X in the upper right-hand corner, then tick the box next to the device)?
    => I didn't have to do this.
  • Are you positive you have the correct firmware package for the device?
    => The device is ZW15R and I'm trying to update from 1.08 1.11, through a .gbl beta file from Leviton.

Here's what didn't work for me and how I fixed it.

• Bryan's Z-wave updater from Hubitat Package Manager does not support gbl files.
    => I installed the binary version instead. It worked right out of the box.

• I tried hosting the gbl file on Hubitat (upload files) thinking I was smart not having to spin up another http server. The request to fetch the file got declined for some reason.
    => I hosted on github instead.

• The update didn't have a 100% success rate. In one instance, the firmware was transferred successfully to the device, but it reported the same error that the transferred image didn't match the firmware target.
    => Just retrying worked. I think it's likely a transmission error and maybe the file was corrupted.

Thanks again all!

3 Likes

Is hub login enabled?

One benefit of using the driver is that, inherently, it stops all the other device functions. That's kind of the goal with disabling the device before using the built-in firmware update app. Just posting for completeness in case anyone else stumbles on this thread later.

Glad you got it all sorted.

1 Like

I don't think so... I don't have any users added there. Could this be the reason?

That makes sense... Maybe using the built-in hubitat app plus disabling the device would have done the trick as well!

No. Did you remember to put :8080 in front of the hub IP?

1 Like

FYI since no one else mentioned in, that is the normal error if the device is paired with S2. The app is broken for S2 paired devices and apparently never going to be fixed at this point. So it is paired with S2 security?

3 Likes

I didn't. I think this is likely the root cause if it were required.

The port number didn't show up when I copied the link from the UI though.

Yes it was paired with S2 and it was probably yhe reason why my first update failed.

At this point I felt S2 is just doing more harm than good to my devices and I bit the bullet to remove and readd all devices :upside_down_face:

1 Like