Device Firmware Updater- Cannot remove or show?

I was trying to do an OTA update on a device and must have messed something up.

I unistalled 'Device Firmware Updater' by clicking the REMOVE button. I then reinstalled again by adding via the build-in app button. Now it no longer shows up on the app list. If I try to do a 'Add Built-in App' again, it just runs so it looks like it is installed. Any attempt to click the REMOVE button does nothing. I've tried a reboot and a power down and nothing seems to fix it.

That's actually the way it normally looks. When you want to run the updater, go to apps, add built in app, then pick the firmware updater. You will do that every time. I've never seen it permanently in the apps list

1 Like

Thanks- I thought it just me.

Huh, that seems to be true now, but I am as certain as anything that's not always been the case... I know I've had it sitting available in my apps list until recently...

I gave JoeJ some advice in another thread to try removing / reinstalling the app because I've run into issues last few attempts where it would hang if I didn't do that, but every time I tried the first time, I'm 99% sure I was just accessing it from my Apps listing like any other app. Or maybe I'm totally losing my mind - who knows.

2 Likes

Same here. I do remember seeing it in the list. It must have changed on a recent update.

This is incorrect. For any App, when you open it for the first time if it does not have any sort of prompts for info the first thing you should do is press "Done" which installs it. Then go back into it from the installed apps list. Unless you wish to just run it and never actually install it.

I just deleted my Firmware Updater app and reinstalled it this way, its back in my apps list like normal.

This is also true and needed sometimes, so possibly it is better to just never actually install it?

4 Likes

Hmm, I've never noticed that before... Sweet

Could be the right approach...I've found it problemmatic enough in the past that I typically have to remove and re-install between update attempts or it would hang or not "see" the device FW info properly. Removing and reinstalling seemed to make it more likely to be successful.

2 Likes

Same here. reinstalling it seems to fix it most of the time, as it will crash if unused for a while on the next time you run it.

It is especially troublesome with battery devices, as you have to start and restart it several times before it start working- even with the battery device in full wake-up.

Don't do what I did. There is another Firmware Updater available through Hubitat Package Manager, that I think is for non-C7 hubs. I installed that one first then the one from built-in apps and I had a crazy time trying to straighten all that out.

1 Like