Detector for monitoring 3d printer in garage

Looking for a smoke detector to monitor a 3d printer in the garage (shut off printer power if smoke detected).

I am looking at the First Alert ZWave combo smoke/CO detector.

Is there a way to turn off the CO detecting part? I'm concerned with it being in the garage (in close proximity to the cars) that the cars will produce enough CO to set off the native alarm and have it screaming every time we leave - any experience with this?

If the CO detecting part will be a problem, any recommendation on a solely smoke detector or otherwise that will integrate well with HE?

Interesting ... I have one that I was about to install in the garage and had not considered this. Here is the advise from the First Alert instructions:

Hmm. ok then. Guess I should get a dedicated smoke (non-CO) detector....wonder if someone knows of one with zwave....

I should have included this also ... I was shocked to see that they did not recommend any detection in the garage. I have one just inside the fire door to our basement, though.

I see. Well back to the drawing board then. Brief search suggests that a heat detector would be the best approach. But don't see any zwave (or even zigbee) ones. Might would have to pair a non-smart heat detector with a zwave sound detector, but creates two points of failure rather than one....

I’ve had one in my garage for at least two years and the CO Detector has never gone off.

1 Like

Good to hear, I think. - are you sure it's working? :slight_smile:

I open the garage door before starting the car. I guess I’ll have buy a can of CO to test.

FYI found a zigbee heat detector that is supported by HE:

Will have to think about if this will suit my purposes though....

1 Like

You could always use a motion detector or contact switch that has an integrated temperature sensor to monitor it.

You can also experiment with this cheap smoke detector available from Walmart, also supported in HE:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tuya-Zigbee-Smart-Smoke-Detector-Sensor-Security-Alarm-System-Smart-Life-Tuya-App-Smoke-Detector-for-Home-Office-Fire/2754059276

1 Like

Just a thought here, but not sure the garage is really the best place if you are using an extrusion type of printer unless you are putting it in an enclosure. Temperature extremes can cause issues with warping at the bottom layer and/or weird issues with cooling percentages.

So, if you go with an enclosure, you could mount the alarm in the enclosure. The Tuya X-Sense is recommended in this video: Best Smoke Alarm for 3D Printing Safety (2021 X-SENSE) - YouTube It appears to have hubitat support as well: [BETA] Tuya Cloud Driver (Limited device support) - #168 by jimhc

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/X-Sense-Detector-Replaceable-Self-Check-XS01-WT/dp/B08SJGQTSP

Edited to add, would highly recommend a camera and installing Octoprint (Raspberry Pi or similar) for real time monitoring as well. While you will want to cut the power, that isn't going to put out a fire that has started and you may want/need visual confirmation of whether it is just smoking or actually on fire.

1 Like

What about an alarm heat detector? My wired alarm system has heat detectors in the attic and crawl above the HVAC systems and one in the kitchen - places that shouldn't have smoke detectors. They are very simple and can be hooked up to a contact sensor via terminals.

@JustinL just use what ever you want as a smoke/co detector and use an eco link firefighter. Extremely reliable

The Hubitat Safety Monitor lets you chose to monitor smoke and/or CO so it seems like you should be able to just use the smoke detector part and ignore the CO detector signal - somehow.

As you planned and throw a Tesla in.. there issue solved. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.