Detecting tripped GFCI outlet

I am looking for a way to detect when the GFCI outlet for my sump pump trips. I have a Neo Plug that I can plug into that outlet. When the outlet is off, the Neo Plug outputs that show up in Hubitat are whatever it sensed the last time it was queried (about every five minutes). I am thinking there should be a way to record the energy duration periodically and, if it hasn't changed, conclude that the outlet tripped. However, I am not sure how to accomplish that.

I am open to suggestions other than using the Neo Plug.

Note: I previously had a GFCI outlet that beeped continuously when it tripped. That happened while I was at work at drove the dog bezurk.

Have a look here..

I’m still using the same hardware :slight_smile:

Here is more ideas.

you could monitor a samsung multi-sensor (or any sensor with a magnet detector) and replace the magnet (the small part) with an electromagnet powered by the very same circuit. If power is ok, the powered electromagnet set the sensor as closed. In case of pôwer loss, no more electromagnet means the sensor is open.

1 Like

Are there any UPS units that can signal Hubitat when they kick in? That could help you two ways, knowing about the failure and having a temporary back-up until you can resolve the problem causing the trip.

Also, you may want to look into replacing that breaker. I had one go bad and it was driving me crazy until I replaced it. No problems since. Apparently they do wear out.

1 Like

I have a couple of Zooz ZEN06 Z-Wave outlets. They can also report voltage. That should work because your voltage should drop to zero if the GFCI is tripped. Let me see if I have a place I can test that theory . . .

Possibility:

The ZEN06 can be configured to provide periodic voltage reports:

Here are the possible intervals you can select:

A quick test seems to indicate the timing is pretty accurate:

dev:11 2019-11-28 08:03:47.984 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.896 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:02:47.985 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.732 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:01:47.985 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.569 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:00:39.836 pm warn description logging is: true
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:00:39.833 pm warn debug logging is: false
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:00:39.831 pm info updated...

When I unplug the outlet, the stream of voltage reports stops.

It appears to be able to handle a pump unless it's pretty large:

• Power: 110V, 60Hz
  • Maximum Load: 15A, 1800W

When I plugged it back in, the log entries for voltage resumed:

dev:11 2019-11-28 08:11:12.526 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.896 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:10:12.534 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.732 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:03:47.984 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.896 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:02:47.985 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.732 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:01:47.985 pm info Main Hall Outlet voltage is 120.569 V
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:00:39.836 pm warn description logging is: true
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:00:39.833 pm warn debug logging is: false
dev:11 2019-11-28 08:00:39.831 pm info updated...

Usable?

1 Like

Following up on @Cobra's idea of a low voltage relay, any one of these smart switches that also has a USB outlet . . . you could use the USB to latch the relay. When the GFCI trips, the USB will also lose power thus tripping your relay. Presumably you wire it up with a sensor that is battery powered so it can still signal the hub even when the power is out.

Motors tend to trip GFCIs when they turn on and off. I would look into your local electric code or ask a local electrician weather that is wired to code. It's usually a dedicated circuit breaker with a single outlet supplying the sump pump so nothing else can be plugged in.
You could wire up a relay to the GFCI and wire a contact sensor across the NO contact so when the relay loses power the contact opens.

1 Like

I also have a couple of Dragon Tech Z-Wave outlets, some SmartThings (Centralite) Zigbee outlets, and the outdoor GE Z-Wave outlets - I just checked those and none of those can be configured to report voltage. The voltage reporting is useful because it doesn't rely on the device (pump) drawing current.

My Neo plug can report voltage. However, when the voltage goes to zero, it stops reporting anything at all. It would be easy to detect a partial failure, but not a total failure.

I'd say this would be the cheapest and most reliable way to do it. Use an old 12v wall-wart you have laying around, buy a 12v 4 pin auto relay, and a door sensor with wired contacts. When the power is on the relay will be closed, when the power cuts off the relay will trip the sensor to show open.

Whatever you do, plug the pump directly into the outlet, and avoid using the plug you might add. Sometimes they turn off after power, even if you don't have that option checked on the settings. Also, you could screw up your rule in hubitat and toggle your pump off. I personally would just have my zooz switch report the voltage and notify when it hasn't received >100 report.

1 Like

There are 2 type of GFCI. One is for protecting equipment (10ma) and the other is for protecting people (5ma). You shouldn't be doing a bandage fix like this. Find out the root of it and then find the right solution. GFCI, pump, wiring or maybe a combo of all.

4 Likes

I believe I have found a way to solve this. Current_Energy_Duration and Last_Energy_Duration are both local variables. For some reason, it didn't work when I used global variables.

I GFCI outlet has two plugs. I plugged the sump pump into one of them and the Neo plug into the other. I am not measuring the sump pump energy use, but that avoids accidentally turning off the sump pump via the controllable plug.

How would you trigger a Hubitat rule based on not receiving a voltage report over 100? Receiving a report that is less than 100 would be an easy trigger, but that is not the same as failing to receive a report at all.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.