Detect when a door fails to lock in Rule Machine

Reports on mode.change if locks fail to.lock or doors are open etc.

2 Likes

Just remembered something (bit of DOH on my part)...the lock's built-in auto-lock setting. I don't use that on my Schlage BE469 and haven't remembered it until just now when I saw your description. My HE lock automations are set to only try to lock when the door reports closed, and in that state they are always successful. So it would be really unusual for me to see that type of error (only if my door contact sensor wasn't working properly).

I left the door partly open so the deadbolt wouldn't be able to close and locked it from the Device page and of course got the same "unknown" status. :slight_smile: So it does report something when a lock event fails, my bad... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks all!

@danabw: just checked with my ex-ADT locks and they do not report an unknown state when the deadbolt fails :man_shrugging:. Doesn't matter now since my virtual garage door abstraction is working like a charm but that sure would've been easier.

@kahn-hubitat: very cool, very cool indeed! I'll take a look... nice job. :+1:

1 Like

I have two Schlage smart door locks. On occasions when the door isn't fully closed, the smart lock tries to do its thing and fails because it can't properly extend the deadbolt. I figured I'd create a rule to detect this condition (which proved trivial for overhead garage doors) but, so far, I've been unable to track this state."

For our Schlage deadbolts, I use a rule like this to detect when the lock is unable to extend the bolt. The event text will be "{lock name} is jammed."

Thanks, Tom!

This is my problem--it never logs anything other than the resulting state of a lock or unlock command/event. If the command/event fails, I don't see that. I do see the command to lock and could obviously combine that with the lock's resting state a few seconds later by gleaning the logs but I learned that after I was done with my current solution.

PS: mine don't even support the event trigger "changed"--any rule I created using that event never ran.

Don't know if it's the locks or driver. I'm using the Generic Zigbee Lock driver with my locks.

I'm using Z-Wave. Have tried the generic driver as well as the model-matched Schlage driver but the behavior is the same.