Detect a Power Outage

I saw all the posts about using a Ring Extender as a power outage sensor. As anyone used a Ring doorbell instead? Mine is wired to power and has a built-in battery.

Any thoughts?

The Ring Extender is a Z-wave device, and thus is not dependent on a home network whatsoever. It is designed to provide the proper information regarding its power source via the Z-Wave network, and is thus very easy to use for monitoring power outage status.

A Ring doorbell is a WiFi device. I used to use one myself, but recently changed to a UniFi Doorbell. There is no easy way that I am aware of for Hubitat to know whether the doorbell is using 16-24VAC or its internal battery. In fact, my guess is that the Ring doorbell is always using its battery as its main power source, and only uses the 16-24VAC source to keep its battery charged AND to be able to make the mechanical doorbell chime 'ring' when someone presses the doorbell button. Even it it were possible, you would need all of your home network on UPS as well, to keep your WiFi network up and running.

TL/DR - If you need power outage monitoring, a Z-Wave Ring Extender is probably the easiest solution. :wink:

1 Like

I have a Ring Extender in place, but not really using it properly yet.

I need to read this thread again, but is the assumption that your hub is on a UPS for the idea to work?

Yes, your hub would definitely need to be on UPS for it to be able to detect a complete power outage at your location.

Another possible use would be to detect the power outage of a single circuit in your home. Most users who do this want to know if a GFCI outlet, a GFCI breaker, or regular circuit breaker has been tripped. Usually, the circuit that people care about the most is the one that the refrigerator/freezer is plugged into. Losing power to a deep freeze, and not realizing it, could result in a very expensive loss of food.

Another circuit worth monitoring for some is a basement sump pump. A flooded basement due to a circuit being tripped off is a very expensive problem to clean up.

3 Likes

And also a messy cleanup. The first power monitor I made is on that circuit because years ago a housekeeper tripped the circuit with a defective vacuum cleaner and I didn’t find out till almost 12 hours later.

2 Likes

I am using Rule Machine associated with the readings from smart Aeotec plug to let me know when the fridge is offline. This is due to the fact that the circuit breaker on that circuit was tripping for any power switching outside the house. This is not my rule being copied from somebody from the Community but it works well.

1 Like

I have setup a Ring Extender to detect power outage. My hub is on a UPS. If my power is off for extended time I am doing a shutdown on the hub.

So now I need a WIFI plug that I can control remotely to reset the hub once power comes back on. I would prefer something that would integrate directly into Homekit. Does anyone have a recomendation for that?

I use a Homeseer Z-Wave Light Sensor. It's both battery operated (3 AAA, I believe) or Powered (USB). The batteries last me about a year. The device is extremely reliable, I've never had a problem with them in over 5 years. The same device has a swappable water leak sensor too - you tell hubitat what sensor you have in the preferences.

I use exactly for the scenario you describe - you just need to stick the sensor to something with a small light or indicator that is always on. I use my Rachio Irrigation system.

I also use another one to monitor my Washing machine and dryer to tell me when they are done.

Both scenarios are quick, easy and very reliable.

Was this in response to my question or were you responding to someone else?

I responded to the original question of how to detect a power outage, sorry.

Hi @j715 . I've done this (use wifi plug to power on/off a hub ) for years with both Leviton and Wyze wifi plugs, but I've no idea if either work with Homekit. Both, however, have been reasonably reliable with perhaps a slight edge to Leviton as the Wyze cloud has gone out a bit more for me. Our power outages don't last long as we have an auto-start generator and everything is on a UPS (well, several UPSs) , but we have several buildings and I don't always want to walk over to one to reset a hub, so these have worked well for that.

Ditto on the Homeseer Z-Wave Light Sensor. Reliable and I already have a spare Homeseer sitting around. I use them to tell me when the washing machine is done, and the dehumidifier is full. And now I'm using one to tell me when a GFI outlet has lost power.

Just went through a power outage.
The occasional light would turn on when I restarted the generator.
I'm thinking of using my Ecolink Chime Siren, which has a self contained battery backup, and reports when mains are disconnected or re-connected.
Maybe I'll turn off lights with a rule when this happens.
It spits out multiple reports though, so it'll need a delay.

I have this toy (Ecolink Chime Siren) but it reports "battery" randomly and to...o often with no apparent reason. Acording to iotawatt voltage swings between 119-128V ower 24 hours. Driver does not have any related settings (maybe device itself does not allow to tweak sensitivity). From the other side Ring Repeaters V2 are rock solid for reporting line voltage status. But as far as a reoeaters they are not doing anything (they are online around 2 years).

Below is what I was talking about.
I would start the generator, it would run out of gas, lol, etc.
The device produces, sometimes, multiple closely time-spaced reports.
I'll have to look at some more logs as time passes to see if there are issues like yours.
I've only looked at the ones during the outage.

edit: There were problems when the outage started initially at 9:45 PM or so on the third. Electrical equipment was turning on an off, disconcertingly so. Like maybe the wires fell down and there was a low impedance fault or something like that. I disconnected utility feed and went to bed.

Here is a Voltage graph from iotawatt:

And here is logs from Ecolink Chime Siren device:

As you can see a lot of falls reporting on April 2 with no apparent reason.
And this is just a little portion from the device logs.
Unfortunately this toy is "no go" for reporting reliably main power status.
But it could be just only my device is somewhat broken.

1 Like

Thanks.
I'll have to keep an eye on mine.
This is the first I've thought of using it for this purpose.