[DEPRECATED] Tasmota 7.x/8.x firmware for Hubitat + Tuya, Sonoff and other drivers

I don't have any of those devices myself, but now that there is TuyaMCU support in the main Tasmota release, I don't truly see this as needed, but maybe there's some feature I'm missing? All should work without using that firmware. I'd love to know what is not working with those devices with my Hubitat version of Tasmota.

1 Like

The main thing that differentiates the MJ dimmer (and its siblings) from most other dimmera out there right now is that it doesn't use a TuyaMCU. Consequently, all of the buttons can be repurposed. I intend to use at least one of the dimmers to control a smart light. I hope to someday not too far down the road use some of them to control a lights and ceiling fans. The dimmer up/down buttons would repurposed to control the fan speed via MQTT or other means.

It might be that the other improvements to Tasmota aren't applicable to HE or your driver. I know Digiblur uses Home Assistant. I'll find out if his changes are needed when I deploy my units.

1 Like

Ok, I understand, let me know how it goes and if changes are needed we can talk about that.

1 Like

New to this and have come to a road block. I am looking to run relays in a dc environment with hubitat. Have ESP8266/01s 5v relay seen here. Relay needed modification to work, did that, loaded tasmota 8.1 and the template ```
{"NAME":"ESP-01S Relay","GPIO":[29,52,255,255,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18} and it works. Uploaded Tasmota-hubitat 8.1 and can log onto it. I cannot find a driver for hubitat to work with it. any suggestions?
Thanks

1 Like

Welcome.
You should be able to just use the generic switch driver with this as you have set the template already.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam:
I used the generic switch/plug relay and if I changed the name of the device to ESP01S 5V RELAY it works right off. If I don't change the device name then I have to go into configure
device Template on hubitat and copy the template line {"NAME":"ESP-01S Relay","GPIO":[29,52,255,255,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18} to preferences.

Success feels good.
Thanks Again

1 Like

I don't get this one? It must have been combined with some other action done at the same time.

This would be the reliable way of getting it to work, this way you actually never need to touch the Tasmota web interface unless you really want to.

Great that you got it to work!

1 Like

I think I know the other action. These are the steps I took to get the relay functioning.
1/ Flash with tasmota-hubitat mini
2/ Flash with tasmota-hubitat full
3/ Log onto tasmota-hubitat wifi
4/ Enter my wifi credentials
5/ Log onto tasmota-hubitat web interface, toggle does not work
6/ Enter template string info for espo1s 5v relay, save, now toggle works.(think this is the other step)
7/ Enter hubitat info,save
8/ Log into hubitat, open tasmoto connect add device using generic switch/plug
9/ Enter device on hubitat, relay does not toggle, do one of two things to make it toggle
a/ enter esp01 relay string and save in preferences now toggles
or
b/ Change device name from same as driver name to ESP01S 5V RELAY (web addy) toggle works.

Could it be if the device name is the same as the driver hubitat uses the preferences string or if the device name does not match the hard coded string (done in step 6 above) on the chip is used?

1 Like

Hello all and thank you for the topic. Special thanks to Markus (I am using Tasmota Connect and have succeded 3 out of 4 devices that i flashed OTA).
I have a special request for a driver for my favourite device maxcio diffuser if this is possible.

Thank you again , you are doing a great job

1 Like

I previously had my router set to give my Tasmota devices static IP addresses. I removed the static assignments since I thought @markus' driver could handle the IP addreses changing. It's not working for me, though. I can see in the event logs that HE is receiving asynchronous updates from the devices just fine but it never updates the dashboards. Attempts to control the device through the dashboard or HE devices page don't work either. Am I mistaken that the driver can handle the IP addresses changing?

1 Like

I actually have two of these, a driver is coming, I've just not gotten around to it. I've not even flashed them with Tasmota yet. How did you flash yours, with Tuya Convert or did you open it up?

It can, unless you've used force IP or specified an IP in the driver. It might have then lost the "ability". For this to work, the Device Network ID needs to be the MAC address of the device and your network can't be segmented in such a way that the correct MAC doesn't reach HE. So when first installed, the driver would change and set to using MAC as Network ID, but if you have forced it away from that I'm not certain it will ever revert, but you can set the MAC manually and then it will "follow" the IP changes. With this said, I'm not sure I would recommend this if IP's change often, there might be a miss in sending commands if the IP changed and no communication was sent to HE from Tasmota yet.

1 Like

I used all defaults when I created the device. I'm guessing it lost the ability to handle the change.
Only today when it didn't work did I try setting the default, IP address in the device settings.

This is the case. As I noted, the async updates are showing up on the "Events" tab on the device page. That tells me that HE is still able to identify the device by its MAC address.

Here is what I'm seeing in the logs.

[dev:65](http://hubitat/logs#dev65)2020-02-16 08:41:10.249 pm [warn](http://hubitat/device/edit/65)Ambiguous method overloading for method java.net.Socket#. Cannot resolve which method to invoke for [null, class java.lang.Integer] due to overlapping prototypes between: [class java.lang.String, int] [class java.net.InetAddress, int]

It seems HE might be confused on wherher to use the MAC address or IP address to talk to the device. This is after removing any settings changes that might try to override the default use of MAC address.

I don't expect the IP addresses to change often. In this case, there were simply a one-time changes from ones in my static range to ones in my dynamic range.

1 Like

HE is not confused, my driver is, it doesn't have nay IP to send anything to, this is a state I can't replicate a way of getting into. Could you try setting the current IP of the device in "Device IP Address", don't set "Override IP" or "IP as Network ID". If this doesn't work I'd have to look at this some more, this really should work. The code handling this "flexible" way of addressing with either IP or MAC "should" work, but obviously there is something in a corner case I've missed.

1 Like

I tried that before but just tried again to be sure. I get the same error if I set "Device IP Address" to an IP address or a host name.

FYI, I'm leaving now but will be back in a couple of hours if you would like me to try anything else.

1 Like

I'll think about it and get back to you, I'll probably want you to try my new driver with some modifications, looking at the code I see some possible logic errors I'd like to fix. Can't promise it will happen today though. If you check "override IP" it will work, but that will not follow any IP changes. Think I need to redo the logic in this, it is flawed and comes from the first week I wrote anything for this platform, time to redo and get it right. I'll PM you when I have changed the logic in this code.

1 Like

@markus, I got some other smart lights working again by setting "Device IP Address" to the new address and enabling "Override IP". Once the device worked, I could change those values back to empty and disabled, respectively, and the device worked as expected.

The original, smart light I had trouble with took some more prodding. I had to leave "Override IP" enabled after clearing "Device IP Address", save the settings, then disable "Override IP" and save again. That finally got rid of the ambiguous signature error. I think that problem arose from my initial attempt to set "Device IP Address" to a host name rather than an IP Address.

That got all of my lights working. Strangely, and pleasantly, a smart plug worked correctly with the new address without me having to do anything special. I'm not sure why that plug worked while the lights didn't. My other smart plugs aren't currently plugged in and I'm not going to mess with them tonight.

1 Like

I still haven't flashed them. I think it will be easy with Tuya Convert, but as I miss the Hubitat driver. I am still counting on IFTTT with native driver

1 Like

Ok, just curious to see if you had tried already, I’ll convert mine soon and have a look.

1 Like

Great that it is working, sorry the logic is broken, I believe I have fixed it for the new drivers now (although I could never reproduce your issue, I did find where I believe the logic broke), so when they're out, this will not happen again.

1 Like

i have a device new to me. its the mj-sd02 dimmer. just wondering if anyone has figured out which device driver to install. i tried the generic wifi dimmer and it does not seam to work correctly. the lights on the side do not light up. i understand that it is similar to the sd01

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Compatible-Assistant-Single-Pole-Required/dp/B07K67D43J/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=wrvPb2A89uO5uDMvnPnk0w&hsa_cr_id=7814433320901&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

1 Like