[DEPRECATED] Ring Range Extender/Contact Sensor/Motion Sensor/Smoke and CO Listener

Possible yes..

Extremely complicated dual-hub same network.. And the driver's don't account for that so you would have to manually set lifeline association to hubitat's nodeId and Ring's nodeId..

I wouldn't attempt unless you have a lot of z-wave experience .

Thank you. I am completely new to hubs and Hubitat (just received my c7 yesterday). I have several Sylvania LED strips (Zigbee) that are automated with Alexa with time schedule (should be easy on hubitat) and I have 2 LED strips that are automated using Ring contact sensors and Alexa. How best should I continue with this automation? My main concern is the Lightify Cloud is going away AND with Alexa I only have 15 or 20 preset colors I can use. With Hubitat, i assume I could choose nearly any color.

When I try to include the range extender, the device is found but stays at initializing. Any idea?

@bcopeland, is the stock driver S2-compatible?

Why yes .. yes it is..

1 Like

I was assuming it was, but well, we know what happens when one does that. Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Great job on the range extender. Does exactly what I needed for power loss detection. I was a little worried after reading all the pairing issues with the v2 as Amazon is out of stock on the v1 (you can still order it but I wonder if they will actually get more in). Fortunately found a v1 used online and ordered it. Had no problems pairing (excl/incl) with a button press and could see the "mains"/"battery" status and battery charge %. Only thing I couldnt see was the power fail switch. Set up a rule for pushover notify on change of power source. Works great.

I also had pairing issues with my V2 range extender. After many failed attempts I resorted to the old saying; "If all else fails read the manual". Reading some Ring material I found on the internet. I came across some Ring instructions to pair. Press and hold the button on the front for 3 seconds. It paired immediately. I don't know why that worked but worth a try.

Yea.. Ring did a horrible job of documenting the inclusion / exclusion processes if you aren't using their hub.

But their device are decent and are priced well. To exclude you have to use the pin hole FYI

The exclusion process is the same 3 second hold. Tried it and worked. Maybe I have some new firmware.

That would be nice.. You know how hard it is to hit the pin hole that is against the wall while it is powered up.. They didn't think that one through..

Yes I shook my head as well. The Fibaro FGK 10x, the one that allows an external temperature sensor. To reset you have to press a button on the bottom of the case and a micro button on the circuit board while inserting the battery. I think that one takes the prize. Guess there is no fix for stupid :grimacing:

You can exclude the V1 (with the pinhole) with it unplugged FYI if I remember correctly. Pretty sure,

I noticed that Ring now allows you to disable the LED on the contact and motion sensor. Any chance this can be added to the device handler?

Also, would it be possible somehow to use the button press on the contact sensor to trigger something in Hubitat?

i;ve tried two of the ring extenders they will not work for power detection i get this error in log.

fthere must be a bad batch of these. .the in in mi works fine.. the 2 here. report on battery but never report that it is back on mains

more info .. it works with the stock driver which doesn't support the add on switch for power outage.. but at least it updates gets the power restored message and updates the attribute correctly so that you still can write a power out rule as follows:

In my experience receiving the power source mains notification depends upon how long the device has been off mains. If you take it off and then restore mains quickly (few seconds) it will issue the on power source battery notification but not the power source mains notification. Kinda annoying if you have a stand-by generator.

I did a driver for the device that covers the mains/battery status as part of refresh. If interested, you can find it here:

the one in mich with the same device handler shows on off mains message immediately and the sub device for power worked fine.. the two here in nh will not.. it has to be a firmware issue.. for now sticking with stock and using the attribute

In my experience, they always identify mains loss immediately. What they don’t do is identify mains restoration consistently. I have 6 of these, all purchased last month and they all behave similarly. I’m not aware of a firmware update for them, but if you know if one, I’d love to hear about it. [Edit: all my RE2s are firmware version 1.11]

Fwiw, my driver behaves the same way as the built-in in that you use the powerSource attribute. No switch.

1 Like