[Deprecated] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil)

Tell you what... If you manually change the automatic cookie refresh in the code, and then run the code for at least 30 days without the issue reappearing, then I will add these as user selectable features. Let's first figure out if changing the frequency will actually change the behavior in any way. Deal? :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW - I am not actively developing this code-base, and I do not put my code in the Hubitat Package Manager. Thus, the odds of anything overwriting your changes are fairly small.

Are you a developer? If so, I am always happy to accept pull requests for improvements. I am not trying to be difficult...it is just that I really don't even use this integration any longer. I bought an IKEA Symfonisk speaker for $99 and it 'just works' without the hassle of trying to trick Amazon into performing a TTS. Another option would be to use Echo Speaks, as I believe @tonesto7 is very much actively developing a new and improved version of it for Hubitat. I am sure he has much better cookie refresh logic and error handling in his code.

1 Like

No worries, I'll try 2 days just for sh!ts and giggles.

Heck no, Im a hardware guy who occasionally plays with code he doesn't understand. :crazy_face:

Ok, I've set every 3 days at 6am - My AlexaCookie app is restarted every day at 5am so see how that goes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.42.19 am

1 Like

Question
I'm about to buy THIS mini PC for my home i will use it for many things
il will have Linux MINT on
Can i use it to handle the cookies for Alexa TTS?
Thanks

Yes. You’ll need to install packages for NodeJs and npm. If there's a package for pm2, you may find it convenient to install that as well. Otherwise, you can use npm to install it (npm install pm2 -g).

2 Likes

So i finally got this to work. Sadly it will only work on 1 of my 3 echo's. 2 of them show on the app as the same model but only 1 actually works?
The third one is a different model but all are the last gen of echo in the market .

My other question is. How can amazon still controls what is typed for the echo to say? meaning bad words like A$$hole and anything else?

@ogiewon

So it's been about 6 weeks since I made this change and I've only had it fail once - and that was my AlexaCookie service getting its panties in a twist. So it looks like Amazon likes it's cookie to be refreshed frequently to keep it alive.

1 Like

Does this still work? I tried to get this setup. I got my cookie it lists my devices but I can't do anything with them. No control can't speak no vol control.

Mine does though I set it up a few years ago and all has been well. I don’t use the volume control feature but speak definitely works as it announces mail has arrived every day.

1 Like

Yes, it still works for me as well. However, I did just test it to see if there were any issues that might be related to recent Hubitat platform updates. It does appear that the Speech Synthesis Capability may have had some features added to it. I have just updated my Child Alexa TTS driver to account for these changes in order to avoid any chance of unhandled errors in the logs.

Please be sure to update you version of the Child Alexa TTS driver.

Other more full featured options include the Community Developed "Echo Speaks" integration... or simply using a Sonos compatible speaker (like the IKEA Symfonisk) which all work with Hubitat's built-in Sonos Integration and built-in TTS capabiulities.

1 Like

Thanks
Also one more thing. Is this app in the [Hubitat Package Manager] ?

No, it is not. None of my Apps or Drivers are in the HPM as I personally do not use the HPM. My code does not change very often, nor do I use many apps or drivers written by other users.

So I have upgraded the driver. I can only get one device to work. Its a plan jane echo dot. My Shows dont work. The echo dot with the time doesn't work either. I have even repaired it to my amazon account. Thoughts?

Anything showing in the Logs?

Office works

But does the name mean anything? The name of the device in hubitat is AlexaTTS Master Closet - Echo Dot
In amazon the device name is Master Closet - Echo Dot
But based on the logs its sending to just "Echo Dot"

app:6802021-04-26 12:28:20.792 pm debugSending 'test' to 'Office'

app:6802021-04-26 12:27:54.050 pm debugSending 'test' to ' Echo Dot'

app:6802021-04-26 12:27:27.917 pm debugSending 'Test' to ' Echo Dot'

I wonder is the β€œ-β€œ in the name is messing something up?

Yup that did it. Changed to underscores we are good.
Thanks
Mike

1 Like

One last Thing. I am able to get each indvudale device to work. But i cant cant the all echos to work. I get Alexa TTS: {"message":"input Failed to validate."}
Logs
2021-04-26 02:45:58.235 pm infoSending Message: Alexa TTS: {"message":"Input failed to validate."} Priority: 0 to Device: Mike_Phone

app:6802021-04-26 02:45:58.223 pm warn'speakMessage()': Error making Call (getMessage): Bad Request

app:6802021-04-26 02:45:58.219 pm warn'speakMessage()': Error making Call (Status): 400

app:6802021-04-26 02:45:58.213 pm warn'speakMessage()': Error making Call (Data): {"message":"Input failed to validate."}

app:6802021-04-26 02:45:57.935 pm debugSending 'test' to 'All Echos'

Device: Mike_Phone
Is my cell Phone

Not sure what to tell you regarding this error. I just tested my "All Echos" device and every Echo in my home responded fine. No errors in my Logs.

2 Likes

Thanks for such a great app!

I'm trying to use the AlexaCookieNodejs to automate the cookie refresh against Australian Amazon account.

I managed to get the Alexa cookie refresh options; but for some reason the cookie does not refresh successfully after 6 days or so; is there a way for me to troubleshoot what went wrong?

Thanks

1 Like