Denon AVR control?

@mike.maxwell can you tell us any more about what the issue is? Zone 2 support for Denon/Marantz AVRs would be really appreciated.

Alternatively, I’d like to try one of the other drivers posted in this thread, but I noticed the built-in driver has an initialize command and @bobbyD’s ported code from ST doesn’t appear to.

How do I drop the current telnet connection and start a new one with another virtual device?

Thanks.

Just connect again, it will reset if need be

1 Like

I have a small issue, in that after a while, my denon avr stops responding. I get telnet error broken pipe. I suspect this is because my router has been dropping out every once in a while. Is it possible when a broken pipe is detected to loop a new open telnet session and retry?

Does you Denon have a "Network standby" or similarly named option? I have an Onkyo that was randomly dropping it's telnet connection until I enabled this option.

Mine is set to Network control always on. I think it has to do with my router bounce, closes the session. If I re-save the denon device in hubitat, it immediately starts working again...and it will last until the next bounce of my router.

Problem with Denon is it only allows one telnet connection at a time unlike Onkyo and other receivers. I would focus on your router issue to see if you can resolve that if possible.

1 Like

Hey @mike.maxwell

I need to be able to control Zone 2 (Since that's the zone that broadcasts audio/video to my "remote" TVs). Is there a way to do that? I'm not seeing it.

@mike.maxwell hasn’t added Zone 2+ support to any of the stock AVR drivers (yet). Hopefully he will get to it at some point.

2 Likes

Hi, I would absolutely love to have this feature. I want to have fine grain control over the video processing mode and know that I can send VSVPMGAME<CR> to set it to game mode or VSVPMMOVI<CR> for movie mode. The Harmony Driver does this and it's literally 4 lines of code.

Could you please add a send custom command to the driver? Either Command + Parameter as two separate entries or just a single command like I have above.

thanks in advance!

I decided to create a Generic Telnet Driver and assign it the same IP as my Marantz receiver. This works well enough for me as I'll set the commands to run based on rules in RM. If anyone else wants to grab it, it's here:

Would still prefer this to be part of the system driver. :smile:

The denon system driver has volume attribute, but when it is exposed to HomeKit through homebridge, iOS only see a switch but not volume control. Anyway to provide volume control?

You should post this question in the HomeBridge thread.

What Onkyo App? I do not see any AVR support.

Several AVRs are supported by HE via drivers, not apps. In the drivers list click create virtual device, choose Denon/Onkyo/etc and add it. Then set the IP address and other settings and you should be good. Zone 2 support is still unfortunately missing and hopefully @mike.maxwell will add it for all AVR drivers eventually.

1 Like

I have the Yamaha hooked up now and found the Zone 2 drivers too but as usual Hubitat finds nothing on the LAN. I have ahd to reserve the address and use Apps like WeMo Connect or MyQ Lite to get a driver running. Their LAN discovery is completely useless.

These drivers don’t do LAN discovery and expect you to enter the IP of the AVR. That is pretty consistent with other telnet based drivers like Lutron.

Where would I enter it?? With WeMo Connect or MyQ Lite you just enter the address and it sets up the devices. For the Yamaha there are two drivers. The Yamaha Zone one has

capability "Switch"
capability "Switch Level"
capability "Refresh"
capability "Polling"
capability "Sensor"
capability "Actuator"
capability "AudioVolume"

The other (Yamaha Receiver) has none. I see no place to enter an IP address.
I will mess around a bit but I see not way to add devices based upon user code,
only Apps. Do I create a virtual device???

I can only find this code

preferences {
section("Yamaha Receiver") {
//input name: "receiverName", type: "text", title: "Name", required: true, defaultValue: "Yamaha"
input name: "receiverIp", type: "text", title: "IP", required: true
input name: "receiverZones", type: "enum", title: "Zones", required: true, multiple: true, options: ["Main_Zone", "Zone_B", "Zone_2", "Zone_3", "Zone_4"]
input name: "descriptionTextEnable", type: "bool", title: "Enable descriptionText logging", defaultValue: false
input name: "logEnable", type: "bool", title: "Enable debug logging", defaultValue: false
input name: "traceLogEnable", type: "bool", title: "Enable trace logging", defaultValue: false
}

I do not have code for the Lutron. You can not get code for their built-in Apps or drivers.

I tried adding it as virtual device. Stuff happened but I am not sure if it works.