Demonstration kit

Hi,

I'd like to have a "mobile" Hubitat demo kit, that I could bring to other locations. I'd like to use the same rules I'm using at home, but in other people's places.

• What is the best way to approach this? Buy a dedicated C8 that I would re-set each time I connect to a new network/location?
  • How do I do this re-set?
  • Should I bring dedicated devices that I own (bulbs, etc.): would it help in speeding up the configuration process?
  • Can I then control the system from afar, from my dashboard (how do I set this up?)

Thank you very much!

Interesting idea. Personally I'd carry a known set of devices with me if I was going to be giving demonstrations - that way I know I have the right drivers, etc. already on the hub, and I've had a chance to work out any incompatibilities.

As to the reset, not sure why you'd need to. With a WiFi connection you'd just need to remove the SSID before leaving each time and then follow the network setup each time you get to a new location (Registration and Setup | Hubitat Documentation). Once the hub connects to the internet it should show up under http://findmyhub.hubitat.com, and when you connect it should allow you to interact with the cloud or local dashboard.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Do you recommend having a dedicated C8 box, so that you don't mess with your existing zigbee/zwave network when traveling with your own box?
Anything else I should be concerned/thinking about?

OH YEAH!

1 Like

Dedicated yes, that way any device left behind won't panic if the hub disappears. If you're travelling with battery devices, I'd remove the batteries during the trip so that they don't waste energy attempting to contact a hub that is turned off.

Thank you!

You could also consider a Hotspot device. Dedicated hotspot would work for sure, but possible that a phone-based hotspot may also work. Not sure if you could simultaneously use the phone app/browser to connect to the hub via the LAN and have the hotspot going at the same time. I suppose you could get around this by using a tablet to access the hub.

I think that is how i would set this up. Set up a hotspot connection on my phone. Then configure the hub and a tablet to connect to that hotspot SSID. And have a dedicated set of demo devices to show the capabilities.

2 Likes

Good thought. Would cut out one set of variables for sure.

Great idea, thank you

Is this an equipment demo that you then pack up with you at the end of the day?

Or are you installing the same hub and end devices in someone else’s home at the end of the demo?

I would pack up the equipment after a couple of days (or a week), and then demo the same hub and devices at other locations.

I am about to go on the road for work for 2 months in same corporate apt and have a spare C-5. Why didn't I think of that?

2 Likes

What kind of devices and automations do you plan to setup? Broad strokes, at least.

I ask because that will likely have implications re: whether you need the hub to be connected to the LAN for dashboard and/or admin UI access once it’s powered up in a completely different physical location.

I will probably to bring 2 sonos speakers, 4 Hue bulbs, 1 motion sensor, 2 smart plugs. My intention is to be able to troubleshoot remotely (people on location don't know how to use Hubitat).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.