Decision flow chart: Which Hubitat app to use to use when? Migrate SA to RM? Rule naming schemes?

As I’ve used Hubitat lo these many months I’ve discovered it’s possible to get ‘tricked’ into using the wrong app for a given automation task. I want to do X, and I try to do it using (say) Rule Machine. It is possible. It works, kind of. It’s clunky. Later I find I should have used a different app. Thus...

1. have any of you brilliant people created a simple flow chart that takes you from “I want to automate X” to “xyz is the best app to do that” ?

And

1. I now have a bunch of Simple Automation rules and a bunch of Rule Machine rules. Should I invest a bit of time to consolidate them all to (say) Rule Machine rules? I’m thinking ’yes’ because
    a) if there’s a bug that gets introduced into Simple Automation I won’t experience it,
    b) I’ll become really familiar with Rule Machine rather than kind of good at two different systems,
    c) I’ll be less likely to have different rules clashing for the same device/situation,
    d) I’ll be helping the Hubitat team make Rule Machine as good as it can be, and
    e) I can use what I learn from my item number 1 above to maybe migrate a Simple Automation rule to some more appropriate app.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this? Advice? Related... what are your rule naming schemes you’ve developed that you love.

Big thanks in advance.

The general recommendation is to use Rule Machine only when an automation cannot be performed using one of the other built-in apps, such as Simple Automation, or Motion/Mode Lighting.

7 Likes

Thanks! Will give it a shot to set up all my automations that way (and see how it goes). Appreciate the help.

I agree with @aaiyar .

Use the Simple apps 100% of the time they can do the logic you want. Use RM when they can't.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.