Debug or Not Debug?

This is a general question for inexperienced people like myself. After you have successfully got your network up and going and don't seem to have any errors/problems, is it better to leave the debug settings on all the devices or turn them off to reduce the amount of log processing? Or does it affect it in anyway?

All of the Hubitat built-in devices will automatically turn off the debug logging after 30 minutes. This help to reduce clutter in the Live Logs, and extends the time-frame of the Past Logs. I have implemented this same behavior in my custom drivers as well.

So the ones I have that are still toggled on, go ahead and turn them off, right? Is this only used for "if" there is a problem, I'm guessing here most of this if far above my expertise....

Your choice, but if you don't see yourself using the live or past logs to troubleshoot a problem, turning them off might make things the tiniest bit faster since it will log less (if at all) and makes more space available in the past logs to see things you might actually care about. That being said, if you aren't using any custom drivers, all the stock Hubitat drivers will automatically turn off logging, as said above, after 30 minutes (and some custom drivers do the same), so even if you don't, it will happen soon enough. :slight_smile: (They are enabled by default when adding new devices, presumably to help you verify if it's working as expected. The timer is there regardless of whether it its automatically or manually activated at any point.)

Personally, I don't worry about it for custom drivers since there's an automatic off. But again, totally up to you.

Mostly the ones I see in the logs frequently are those using the stock "Generic Zigbee Bulb" driver, those debug toggles don't turn off after 30 minutes, they've been on from the start, there may be a few others I have but that is the most common ones I noticed frequently as I have 10 of these bulbs/drivers.

Yeah, I saw the same thing with Generic Zigbee Bulb - it is on by default. I turned mine all off.

Now if we could find a way to turn it off for MyQ and Rachio - that would be nice!

Tagging @mike.maxwell... Since Mike handles most (if not all) of the Hubitat built-in drivers, he'd probably be interested in this discussion.

1 Like

sometimes they don't turn off, particularly if the preferences aren't saved after the device is first added.
There is no need to leave it running, it's only useful should support, (or more likely me) asks for these.

1 Like

After turning debug off of these items with the Generic Zigbee Bulb driver for a day, I began having issues with them not responding to rules today, after turning it back on it appears the Sengled E11-G13's want debugging left on as no more issues.....

That's not possible, the two different logging preference options do not have any effect on device reporting or system event generation.
So whatever is going on with this, it's not related to device logging preference settings.

I guess it's just a coincidence, and there is something else then.....I'll see if it happens again, I had it 2 different non responsive bulbs with different rules firing each one. which I turned debugging off of all of them, but I trust what you say on it not being relevant.