Dear god please a simple solution for my pool temp

it does connect to the tag manager to get the data.. so yes it looks like it goes out to the internet to work, but i have had one now for about a month and it has never lost one check in.. I also just got a smaller cheap tag for the wine cooler . seems to work well .

Does anyone know if
https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-Wireless-Floating-Thermometer/dp/B07MTMPK2Y/
from Ambient will work with the Ecowitt gateway? Or
https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-F007PF-8-Channel-Wireless/dp/B00EYGJ1KQ/

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying the heat shrink/silicone sealant suggestion now, if that one fails I'll use the marine adhesive sealant on the next one.

You could also try adhesive coated (on the ID) heatshrink. I know the nickel in Stainless Steel is attached by chlorine.

In the adhesive coated heatshrink I have the adhesive is like hot melt. It doesn't seem to cure but oozes out the ends.

Before you go too far with RTV I suggest you take your heatshrink, smear some RTV on it. Let it cure of a few days then try to peel it off. You will get an idea of the adhesion between the RTV and HS.
You should also do the same test with the RTV and sensor wire.

Wait a minute, are you guys suggesting I can just take whatever temp sensor (like this cheap-o one Wireless Europe Version Zwave Plus 868.42mhz Smart Temperature and Humidity Sensor Hot Wet Detector Z wave|temperature and humidity sensor|z-wave 868.42mhzz-wave 868 - AliExpress), put it in a weighted but bouyant watertight container of some kind and heave it into the skimmer? And...that's it? And I'll get accurate temperature measurement?

Good grief if it's that easy...(also, this solution would be extra cool on account of AliExpress calling it a "hot wet detector").

2 Likes

Did this once, but the moisture build up in the container destroyed the device. I even had it in a bag and tried to remove as much air as possible. Not sure how to get around this.

I did have a fgk-101 in a box mounted in my skimmer with an external probe and that worked amazing. Though they stopped selling them.

This approach usually has varying success. If you want to try make sure your watertight container is also vapor tight. (Zip lock bags are not vapor tight).
I would also add a good amount of desiccant. If you don't have access to a traditional desiccant, add a large amount of rice.

1 Like

Tupperware container, 00 buck for ballast, rice for desiccant, SONOFF cheap cheap temperature sensor, and some silicone sealant. Works fine. Been in my hot tub a few months. If it fails after a while my total investment is about $25.

4 Likes

Nice solution.

I like that it is flexible, you won't have to worry about the inside air expanding when heated, the top will just flex.

It's been working great for me in my swimming pool (not Spa/hot tub) !
I'm not claiming any specific accuracy. I just want to know if it's sort of, 16C or 26C !

Any further insights as to accuracy?

I’ve not bothered to check accuracy further than knowing it’s been within 2-3c when I checked using my dive computer and that’s all I need.
Telling me that it’s currently 10-12c is all I need to know at this time of year. :blush:
I can certainly tell when the suns warmed up the top layer of water. The pump starts up and the temp jumps up as that warm water is skimmed off and circulated.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Going on one of those rabbit hole projects this weekend to create one of these.

I'll report back how deep I got to go.

1 Like

Sadly, I'm still limping along with my ST hub and HUBConnect. It's only reason for living is the Fibaro FGK-101's I have tied to it.
I have tired all the incarnations of drivers here and ST converts but no go as far as getting the temp to report.
Just need a Angel Driver nerd :slight_smile: to swoop down.
I bought extras years ago as they worked so well with the temp probe.

I found that the temp sensor had to be installed before I added it to the hub.

If I added it to the hub and then tried to install the temp sensor afterwards it didnt pick up the temp sensor. I think it discovers it when you add it.

Not quite sure of the process you are describing? Please elaborate.
In ST you can manually add a device and then capture the join ID and update the manually added device.
In HE there is no process to set up a manual device except a virtual on.

In case you are still looking for a cheap solution.. While not being the most elegant solution, I've monitored my pool temperature for the last two years using a Samsung Water Leak Sensor (which has a temperature sensor in it and a good size battery), vaccumed within 2 layers of well jointed food sealer bags. I havent heavily vaccumed it to avoid damaging anything. I've also joined a strong magnet to snap it on my pool side. So far I haven't ran into any problems or any leaks and the temperature is pretty accurate. The only thing was that I had to put the sensor near the surface to ensure good communication. Bonus with the Water Leak Sensor, it might alert me if there is a small leak in the vaccum bag :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Sadly you can't get these anymore. I have tried as many others because they work great and are reliable.
My pool gets quite a thermocline at 2 feet down when there is no one in the pool so a "floater" :slight_smile: won't do. It would read 40+ C on a hot day but the bottom would be 27. My pump system rules take into account outside temp, Lux, TOD and the DS18B20 probe at approx 2 feet down to get the right temp when occupied.
If I could ever find one I would buy 10 for the house and maybe stick one to the side of the ladder via your seal method and tie wraps.

Samsung motion/temperature sensor works as well. Also now available via Aeotec but more expensive.

Double vac sealed.

Aeotec is has taken over manufacturing of these senors (actually, I am sure the manufacturer is the same, it is just the name changed from Samsung to Aeotec! :wink: )

A little hard to find due to the global silicon chip shortage, but they do show up in stock from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartThings-Battery-Powered-Compatible/dp/B095TR9NYR/ref=asc_df_B095TR9NYR/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532804548363&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5171212423465236238&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010076&hvtargid=pla-1417590405971&psc=1

1 Like