Deadman switch

I have several apps/rules that rely on consistent temperature/humidity/power reporting. What I would like to do is add a deadman switch to the apps/rules.

If sensor reports then reset deadman timer

when timer = 0 turn off switch

switch disables app/output.

Anyone have an app or rule that checks for reporting?

Maybe use a virtual dimmer as a variable? Control with 2 RM triggers....one trigger that resets the dimmer to 100 or whatever level you want any time one of the temps updates (pick something like temp <= 200), and another one that decrements the dimmer by 1% every x minutes or seconds or whatever. Then when dimmer level = 0, turn off your dead man switch.

Nice, will try. Might try building an App..

I'm not sure if this would work. I have used it before, but I'm not sure if you can reset the switch by turning it on again? If it doesn't you might be able to modify it pretty easily.

You might need to change this false to true?
runIn(delayNum ?: 3, off, [overwrite: false])

Perhaps Iā€™m being a bit dim..

You need a resettable timer switch that will switch off if it doesnā€™t receive an input for a certain amount of time??

Or am I getting ā€˜the wrong end of the stickā€™?

Andy

your punsmanship never fails to de-light.

1 Like

That's what I want, if no new temperature/humidity received in X minutes turn off.

Hmmm... ok...
You need an app that subscribes to the various devices and attributes..
then if no evt received withing a time setting flip a switch on....

The main problem would be the subscriptions.. if you input 5 devices... say.. motion sensors
If one of the sensors report then that would create the event.. thus resetting the timer.

And.. if only one out of 5 was working, and the other 4 were not reporting in you would still get the timer reset by the one..

Iā€™m not sure how to separate them..
I can see a lot of uses for something like this, even just flipping a switch to announce that a device is no longer reporting and sending a pushover message for me to check the device..

I was going to do it as a single sensor to a single switch.
I was also wondering if I could do it in a virtual device...

Single sensor to single virtual switch is easy

I suppose you could just make it parent/child and have as many children as you want
(One for each switch/device pair)

You cannot ā€˜subscribeā€™ to events from one device to another.. you would still need a little app to collect data and send it to your virtual device

Andy

The parent/Child was where I was going.

On the virtual device, darn... I'd love a virtual thermostat that I could have do thermostat things!

Rev 1.0.0

Supports Temperature and humidity sensors.
Ask and I can add more :slight_smile:

Install the parent, then the child and go.

Andy (@Cobra) you can steal this and add it to your excellent array of apps as well.

1 Like

probably should've called this watchdog switch... Sounds friendlier :slight_smile:

updated the interface, and made it 1 sensor per switch.

Kudos to @cobra for some code help!

1 Like

Can app send an event to a device that is not its child?

right now it is set to turn on/off a virtual switch, you could use that virtual switch and subscribe to it's events. I think apps can send events as well, I have never done it.

You can have an app send data to any device that is receptive to that data
E.g. you canā€™t send temperature to a switch unless that switch also has a temperature capability.

1 Like

Deprecating this App since it can be done easily in RM 4.0