Dashsboard

Hello...

First off, I apologies for all the questions I am going to post - Trying to get up and running as soon as I can which is going to be a little of a struggle because the interface is not nearly as user friendly as my current solution.

I need some help getting to a place where room by room and I can have a screen (or dashboard if that is what its called in hubitiat) that shows what lights or devices are active, and be able to tap to turn it on, or if its a dimmable light, dim the light to a level I choose?

I have uploaded a few screenshots of my current application so you can see what I am looking to duplicate..

Can I have this same dashboard across all platforms, web, IOS?

Thanks in advance..

Welcome to the world of Hubitat!

You can use the same dashboards on both web and iOS. We often create a separate set of menus for each primary form factor we intend to engage the system with. The reason for this is HE dashboards do not have the ability to resize/reshape (commonly called responsive design) based on the screen size. Using one set of dashboards will either waste screen real estate (small form dashboards on a computer or iPad) or you will have to scroll a lot on a small device (computer sized screen on an iPhone).

I use just one set of dashboards, but I am the only one who uses them on my iPhone. I don't mind scrolling, but if my wife was going to use them, I would need to create iPhone specific dashboards. My wife only uses the dashboards on a computer, or a tablet mounted on the wall that is dedicated to HE.

This is the Joe Page dashboards found here.

I personally grouped mine by type in folders, but you certainly can group by rooms. This is done in folders, but Joe is thinking about adding tabs to the top of the dashboard to group things that way as well. It's very flexible and as you can see even supports adding apps from the phone directly to the dashboard as well. I locked my dashboard on my phone using Fully Kiosk and use it as my phone's UI even.

Okay how do you crate them?

This is what mine looks like - (useless.. The strike thru on the light bulbs is ridiculed. Makes it so hard to see ion they are on, off, or dimmed) Don't see an option to create folders etc..

Are you using the Joe Page dashboard?

If so swipe right from the left of your screen. Click edit mode, than on your main screen you will see add tile at the top. From there you have MANY options.

Does it matter that I am using IOS and not an android?

I don't think it works with iOS

This is an android only solution, as the title of the dev’s release thread specifies. OP is looking for a cross-platform dashboard, which the built-in dashboards can do.

You can create multiple dashboards, one for each room, like you currently have setup. I would suggest taking a look at the hub documentation page and YouTube how-to video on dashboards for starters.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat®_Dashboard

There is no reason to apologize for asking questions here. That may be necessary in other online forums, which is unfortunate, but in this community people are always happy to help :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

You create your "folders" or rooms in the Apps tab. You can create as many or as few as you wish. Here is a list of my rooms:

The icons turn grey when they are inactive, and yellow when active. Admittedly white on yellow isn't the best, but if that square is lit up, it is active.

I would make a few suggestions that would probably help.

• Divide up your dashboards into rooms or folders as I show above. Expose devices to each room that you want in a room. (don't put every item in every dashboard)
  • Go to the gear menu at the top of a particular dashboard, and set to 2 columns wide (see first screenshot) and maybe somewhere about 12-20 rows high. It will look more like the second screenshot below, and you will get vertical scrolling which will be more in line with what most people expect.
  • In that gear menu, go to Options tab (see 3rd screenshot) Set the column width to blank, and the height to some fixed value, maybe start with what I have shown below.
  • You can change the icon size and font size if that helps, see the first screenshot below again.

Try that, and see if it helps a bit. After that, there are more advanced settings and other options that can be explored.

2 Likes

Omg now that helps a lot.

I am going to try this tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes. Hope you don’t mind I may have a few follow-up questions.

Thank you @neonturbo

2 Likes

I am going to ask questions from the top down. First Question

I cant figure out how to "indent" like your Small Bathroom"

I am also not sure I am in the right place because I have no option to add a room or a folder.

Am I in the right area?

I'm not sure what you mean by "indent"... When you create a rule, it automatically "indents" by one character under it's primary rule name. Can you be more specific in what you mean? Or do you mean within a dashboard?

For rooms, you can either click on rooms, and add devices to rooms from there or click the device and add it to a room from there. Note:Rooms only shows switches and bulbs on the rooms button on the app. Use dashboards for most things instead)

All this is also covered in the video above.

Click the main Dashboard app.

dash1

Create a new Dashboard.

Name the Dashboard, select the devices you want to use, and Done. This is where you pick what room or folder you want to call your Dashboard. If you want Small Bedroom as a room/folder, then then is what you should type in for the name.

Once you are done with that, go back to your actual Dashboard, add tiles, and arrange them as you wish.

Again, that video walks through the process more completely.

I think terminology is being mixed and possibly causing some confusion but, I could be wrong.

Regarding the indentation in @neonturbo 's screen example, I believe he just hid the first part of the bedroom and therefore it looks like he indented it further than Hubitat's default.

This would be a correct statement, the Hubitat dashboard doesn't have a hierarchy. However, you can create multiple dashboards representing each room and then link them together to go from one to the other and back. Note that the Hubitat dashboard is IMHO very basic at first but does provide you with the ability to modify the underlying CSS should you need that level of customization otherwise there are other options like

webCore and many other that work on IOS

You can also get some pretty cool tips from the Show Off Your Dashboards! thread for the Hubitat dashboard.

Continue to come back with questions, Hubitat has a fantastic community and support at all levels.

1 Like

I am really getting frustrated. This seem so dang complicated

I added a dashboard - named it Kitchen -> Clicked Manually Add Tiles at this screen;

The at the add a tile screen I got No Devices Authorized.

Need to go to the Apps tab Hubitat Dashboard | Kitchen and add the devices, then go back to the Kitchen Dashboard to add tiles.

It is always much easier to do it the way I outline a couple posts up in the Apps section, and NOT from the actual dashboard first as you have to go into Apps and add the devices anyway.

But seriously, did you watch that video above? He goes through every step there. I will even add it again below in case you missed it.

4 Likes

I watched the video, didn’t really help much but I think I figured out what was tripping me upon the dashboard. I didn’t connect the dots with what you all were saying - you don’t edit the dashboards from the dashboard menu - you edit them in apps dashboards..

Thank you guys…

You can edit the dashboard buttons in the dashboard itself, but yes, you need to go to APPS>Hubitat Dashboard to expose devices to a particular dashboard. Note: Do not expose ALL devices to a particular dash. Only what you need or rendering of the dash will be incredibly slow.

2 Likes

Check!
How do I make the dashboard responsive? I use the dashboards on my Desktop, iPhone, and iPad they do not format to the device you are using. On my desktop they are perfect, 4 Buttons Wide 8 Rows but on my Cell phone I have to scroll all over the place..Not what I am used to..