Dashboards - why?

For me - yes absolutely! For anyone else in my house? HA!!! :nerd_face:

Dashboards are also very useful for people with disabilities.

3 Likes

I couldn't do without a dashboard.

Not a fan of voice commands. And prefer to see info at a glance if I wish.

I can't see a way of making everything I use fully automated. I like to occasionally boost the heating for 20mins. Or alter the brightness of the bedroom salt lamp or the main lights. None of which I'd like to do by voice, and generally not using a physical switch either.

Dashboards are appropriately named because like a car it displays the current status of all your devices. As for me I have a 50'' TV dedicated to being a dashboard for this exact purpose of monitoring all the devices at a glance without having to take any physical actions on a pc/mobile device to check the status. Whether it's monitoring an individual room temperature/HVAC operation, making sure all windows are closed/doors are locked, or whether it's time to add another log to the wood burning fireplace, all can be done extremely easily without effort.

Having the bonus ability to click the action of the device to change it's status when something is not where it should be (not very often) is great as well.

Unfortunately (until Neuralink is more widely adopted) there are occasions that some things simply cannot be automated as they don't occur on any schedule or pre-determined time. Like turning on the deep fryer to heat up from sitting in the recliner when hungry from simply grabbing the mouse on the coffee table and clicking the tile on the 50'' dashboard.

I rarely need the physical ability to "use" a dashboard in the sense of remote controlling devices as almost everything is automated for me, but it fills the gap on the items that cannot be automated.

2 Likes

But at the end of the day does any of this matter? You set your house up the way you like it and I'll set mine up the way I like it.

2 Likes

Damn...are you all still talking about this?!

:wink:

4 Likes

Something like this? :slight_smile:

4 Likes