Dashboards killing zWave

Support/Community Team:

First, thank you for all the great posts that have helped me covert from ST to Hubitat over the last 2 weeks. I have a C7 on the latest code (142). I can't say it was easy (zWave issues) but it's done - I have around 50 zWave devices and 80+ zigbee, Ethernet and virtual devices (fairly big system).

Anyway, about four days ago I started building custom dashboards for each of my wall android tablets (4 total, each running Fully) to finish the transformation. Nothing too exciting... alarms status, basic light controls, Hubigraph (weather and power) and the big tablet. And then it happen (total hell), all my zWave devices stopped responding. I'd reboot and it would be good for about an hour and then... sadness. I did repairs (no love), moved my hub(no love), shut it down for 30 minutes (no love)... I was absolutely losing my mind... frustrated. Note: zWave devices always changed when I physically switched them, I just couldn't control them from my dashboards or Hubitat app.

So here is the issue... I was so focused on this being a zwave issue that I really didn't look at anything else. This morning I woke up , read another post and said to myself, "maybe an application issue" after reading a post about daily reboots. Going through each application one-by-one. It turned out that disabling the dashboards associated with the 4 android panels immediately fixed the issue.

Ask: Does anyone know if hubitat has a limitation on Panels and if so, do you think pointing to the cloud panel server would fix the issue? Could this be a bug or am I just another lame newbie that needs to RTFM... any are ok answers... I just want to get my tablets back up to finish the job.

Thanks in advance

FYI and I believe unrelated to your issue, as of today a little while ago, latest is 2.2.3.144. They are banging them out w/more fixes...

Good to know. Thank you. 142 was way better that 135... I had to downgrade to 119 to get all my zWave devices in before 142 came out.

1 Like

Exactly the same...been beautiful smooth sailing for me since.

1 Like

I'm not familiar with these "Panels" you speak of, can you explain? Each item added to a HE dashboard is called a "tile" is that what you mean?

This dash has something like 50 tiles, and there is no trouble.

Be sure to review my post on some Dashboards basics, might be helpful. If not LMK what "panels" are and I'm happy to help. With that many device be sure to turn of the "use all devices" button (see post for details).

1 Like

Everytime I see one of your incredible panels I hate you a little more. :wink:

Damn, so impressive.

Ya that's stunning.

Is that what he means? each Dashboard is a "panel"? I don't think there is a limit on dashboards, but I could be wrong. I just counted and I have 26 separate Dashboards. No, I don't use them all, most are testing and others peoples imported JSONs (for troubleshooting).

With that being said I have a reboot automation for both my hubs.

and thanks for the compliment. That dash has more hours in it then I care to admit. And in full disclosure, with out @spelcheck in my back pocket 95% of that would not be possible.

1 Like

Everyone needs a wingman. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks,

So I shouldn't mention that's a "live" dashboard background with ripples in the pond and the picture does not do it justice :wink:

I found a site that has really cool gif backgrounds, I posted it here somewhere, but of course I cannot find it now.

Here it is in motion (still better IRL) Living stills, cool site.

1 Like

You guys are killing me... :slight_smile: I meant android tablets when I said panels. I understand tiles...:-/ How may android tablets can I have pointed to my local hub.... I have 4 and zWave dies. Thanks

I have 2 phones, 2 tablets, and a computer that always have a dashboards or two up with no issues.

Do you use the HE APP, or a browser on them?

Also be sure your using local links not cloud link (if at home). Having multiple cloud dashes open on LAN could cause hub lock up/slow downs, but I have never heard of it killing just z-wave (always time for a new first).

That's OK, a lot of older folks call them that...they remind them of the paneling they had installed their studys in the 60's and 70s. :wink:

4 android tables, all running fully browser, pointed at 4 unique dashboards... about 50 tiles on each dashboard. I can't troubleshoot this right now because I'm taking my daughter to college. I'll give a full report out on Monday.

@danabw my dad has all kinds of that paneling at his home... yikes.

@TechMedX I'm reading the link on Dashboards... see if I can learn anything.

BTW I have 26 Dashboards too...

1 Like

Sounds good, be safe.

when you can...

• check to make sure they are not using cloud links

• check that "use all devices" is not on.

FYI - I also programed in nightly reboots for sanity. Read that as you may, some disapprove, but my hub seem to like it.

1 Like

Same...going into our den was like entering a wooden box.

3 Likes

I was seeing performance issues awhile back and it turned out this was the problem. I had all my dashboards set to use all devices. When I added a bunch more devices, that became a big problem. When I changed them all to only load the devices that each actually displays, it got way better.

3 Likes

I've had nothing but issues with z-wave on my c5 with external stick. I have a kindle fire running 24/7 OK on fully kiosk.

But my problems start if I leave a dashboard open in the background on my phone or if I leave a dashboard open on my work laptop on WAN , z-wave stops working completely

The only solution I can do is a shutdown and pull the power, once up again its running like nothing happened.

There dose seem to be a dashboard issue

I'd make sure you have "Use all your devices unchecked" Performance wise this is what I usually see cause issues.

1 Like

yea i have but thanks
It not a dashboard issue exclusively but a web socket