Dashboard V2.0 Questions

Yeah, but landscape versus portrait doesn't matter - the buttons and text don't fit in either geometry (as seen in pics above).

Like I mentioned, it isn't a huge deal. It works fine in sharp tools, so I've just been using that on my phone. The layout is weird, but it is functional.

Ya but it would work on the TV though. :wink:

1 Like

It would! Works great on a computer screen too... Just not on my phone.

1 Like

You are missing 2 of the new features in Dashboard v2

If you fix these numbers to something to your liking. The tile height and width stays fixed regardless of device and you can then scroll around on a dashboard.

These 2 options are set automatically on new dashboards allowing for a much better initial experience. Also, auto created dashboards are optimized automatically for the device they are created on. So creating a dashboard of all your devices or specific types of devices using dashboard builder is about 3 clicks.

Holy cow... I did say I could have been missing something.

Right now those fields are blank on my dashboards created pre-dashboard 2.0.

I'll look at this and report back.

Thanks @patrick.

Correct, this was to preserve legacy dashboard layouts that used the auto fit feature of the grid.

Just tried it, seems to work perfectly on my phone!

I will have to wait until I get home to see what it looks like on the desktop now.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm sure it was in the release notes and the impact/use of that change didn't sink in.

Amongst over 100 other improvements, features, fixes, etc.

1 Like

I DID (and do every time) read the release notes - for the record. :smile:

This release was so ginormous (in a good way) I clearly didn't digest all of the changes, even if I read about them.

Very nice work.

Here's a quick demo of the Dashboard Builder and how fast you can create a dashboard.

7 Likes

Since I had no real previous experience with dashboards, I was the other way. The dashboard tiles were too large for my devices and I couldn't see all the tiles on a page, I blanked them out. That worked for me, but I should have a look at changing the scales.
What is the column / row scale based on?

Not sure which you are referring to.

The col Width and row Height in options are in pixels

The tile spanning is in units based on grid size.

Pixels is what I was after. So bigger device, bigger pixels. Thanks.

Is there a way with the advanced JSON editing to edit the font size on just one tile? I would love to have a large clock (Heaven forbid normal clocks keep time reliably), to use it as the main time in our house, but I don't need the name for any other links on the dashboard being huge, just that one tile.

Also, feature request, I would love to be able to use FontAwesome's icons in the background of my tiles, they are technically a font but I find they scale so well and look slick.

One more thought...

It would be cool to define a dashboard timeout behavior. For example, after 60 seconds of no user input go back to a specific dashboard (main menu, maybe).

4 Likes

Hm, did something change regarding scaling for temperature readings on tiles in the last (minor) update? I applied it yesterday, and I can swear my temperature readings are a lot smaller now, barely readable from a few meters.

I can of course adjust it by increasing font size, but that affects the labels as well. Is there some way to scale them independently? I had it "perfect" just yesterday! :smiley:

@patrick is it possible to honor supportedThermostatFanModes in thermostat tile?

Actually I have supportedThermostatFanModes : [] because my thermostat doesn't support fans, but in tile I still have "unknown fan mode".
Then if I click on it, correctly there aren't shown any fan modes, but it will be nice to completely remove fan mode info from the tile.

Thanks

If you temporarily switch your thermostat driver to the built in virtual thermostat one, that allows you to set the supported thermostat fan modes. Just enter them as text seperated with commas. E.g. on,off,auto. I have found you can put in anything you like so you could just have one saying "off" or possibly even just a space if you want nothing displayed on the dashboard tile. Providing your actual thermostat driver doesn't overwrite this when you switch back (which is unlikely I think) you can then display whatever options you like . I don't use fan mode so I've hijacked it to use to select my own custom heating profiles and it's nice to be able to select them direct from the thermostat tile.

I've wrote the driver for the thermostat so I don't need to change it to virtual, I can just update the driver.
Good idea the permanent off, I think I'll follow that way.

1 Like

Is it possible to set the Logo Icon to a specific dashboard? For Instance I have a dasboard named Main. That dashboard has links to all my other dashboards. Sort of Home function as it were. And it appears that the send link for a dashboard to phone isn't working. I sent it three times in an hour and a half with no text.

Thanks