Dashboard tile stuck

I have a dashboard tile that never updates:

The Master Thermostat is always stuck at setpoint = 73, status = 73 and heating, no matter what the actual status is.

I can control it via the dashboard, and via thermostat scheduler.

The other 3 thermostats reflect the proper status in the dashboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

~~Andy

On the device itself, are you able to see the setpoint and status?

Have you tried removing the tile and adding it again?

It may also be useful to know what type of thermostat it is and what driver you are using in HE.

Yes, I can see the setpoint and status on the device (obviously). I can change the setpoint on the dashboard, and it controls the thermostat properly. On the next refresh, it goes back to the stuck state of 73 and 73.

No, I didn't try anything to fix this. I figured I'd post here to see if the experts here have seen anything like this. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

~~Andy

Removing and re-adding the tile didn't change anything.

The thermostat is a Trane TZEMT400BB32MAA, and the driver is Generic Z-Wave Thermostat. I have 4 identical thermostats, all using the same driver. Only 1 has this problem, the other 3 work fine.

Only thing I can think of is that the process for refreshing the status of the device in HE is not running or not able to capture the status successfully for some reason. Are you aware of how the state of the thermostats is maintained? Is it a scheduled process within the device / driver or an RM rule?

Perhaps you could turn on debug logging if possible to try and understand what may be happening. Maybe doing that on the thermostat device?

1 Like

There is nothing scheduled within the device.

I am using the thermostat scheduler app to set the heating setpoint to 63 at 10:30PM. That one scheduler app controls 3 thermostats the same way. That is the only control I have for that thermostat. All other control of that thermostat is done manually, either on the device or in the dashboard.

The control works fine. It is just the one tile that shows the wrong data.

I turned on logging in the app. It was already on in the thermostat.

1 Like

Hopefully the logs from the app may show something up.

I wasn't thinking so much about the places you control the device, more if there was a regular process to find out the current status of the thermostat, so, for example, if you changed the temperature through some other means outside of HE it could pick that up and show you the correct set temperature in your dashboard. I don't use the thermostat scheduler myself, not sure if @Sebastien may have any thoughts on whether it would perform this function?

If I control the device manually on the device itself, it does not show the change on dashboard. If I change the setpoint on dashboard, the device updates correctly (meaning I can control it via the Hubitat). If I refresh the dashboard, it shows the same stuck value.

I went into the device in Hubitat, and under device details saw this:

Note that last activity was on 1/13/21, a few weeks after I installed it on 12/26/20. It sure looks like the device is not reporting back for some reason.

I expect what you see on the dashboard when you control it from the dashboard is probably just a locally cached representation of the adjustment you make, but then a refresh calls back to the hub to get the "correct" value, which is where the problem is... This would explain why controlling it from the device does not yield any change in the dashboard.

What if you tried removing and re-adding the device, would that be too much of an inconvenience? Making sure you remove it from the things that are using it first, like thermostat scheduler and the dashboard.

1 Like

I'll try removing and re-adding it. It means a few windsprints up the stairs, but I can use the exercise. Maybe tomorrow.

Something is wrong with the way it is installed. I don't see it, and one other thermostat, in the list of devices when I select past logs.

2 Likes

I agree with @sburke781, the best approach would probably be to uninstall and re-install it. It does look like it is not reporting correctly to the driver.

That said, before doing an re-install, you might try pressing the “Configure” and then “Refresh” button, just in case that wakes it up.

If you end-up re-installing it by removing it first, remember to remove it from Google Home and the Thermostat Scheduler first. Probably best to also remove it from the coop home dashboard too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, however they came a little too late.

I removed the device from the Thermostat Scheduler, and the dashboard, but not Google Home.

I tried to exclude and re-include the device into the hub, but the exclude failed. I now can't access the device at all.

I'm not sure how to remove the device from Google Home. Not sure why I added it anyway, since thermostat control doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Ok, I think it's working now. I had to physically move the thermostat to another location to remove it and re-add it to the Z-wave network. What a pain!!

The tile is reflecting the actual status of the thermostat now.

Any thoughts on when Google home will be able to control these thermostats?

Thanks for the help,

~~Andy

1 Like

There is a community app to do this:

1 Like

Haha, I don't think I'll go there. I'm having enough trouble getting this device to turn lights on reliably. I'm not going to try some alpha code, I'm having enough trouble with the basics.

This is a very unreliable device. I had less failures with my X-10 stuff.

Thanks,

~~Andy

It has been my experience that reliability gets better with time. I found that as I understood better what was best used to do what, it got easier to use and more reliable.

As an example, I have a fan setup to take the heat from my sunroom under certain conditions and also control my mini-split depending on several conditions. It took a while to get it setup well, but now it runs without fail.

I totally understand that. I'm just getting started with learning about it. That's why I started with the simple stuff, turn a few lights on, control a few thermostats. I've been at this for a long time. I used to design all the large touchpanels for a high-end automation manufacturer.

Anyway, we've made progress, but I saw some weird things. 2 out of the 3 thermostats that were working fine, didn't update the tiles all day. They just started working without me doing anything.
The thermostat scheduler that turns the heat down at night did not run last night. I think I'll watch it for a few days.

Thanks,

~~Andy

1 Like

So, I watched it for a few weeks, and nothing has improved. I still see thermostat tiles that get stuck for hours/days, and I don't see any pattern. I don't know what finally gets them unstuck either.

I still see random failures to change the setpoint using the Thermostat Scheduler. Is this normal?