Dashboard and Lutron Fan Control

I'm upgraded on the latest release 2.1.1.115 and I noticed when adding my Lutron Fan Controller fans to my dashboard, that trying to distinguish between the fan speed and the actual fan state is difficult to determine. When the fan is "on", the dashboard tile doesn't change color, so whether it's on or off you can't really tell based on looking at the dashboard. Anyway to change the tile to show both the state and the speed?

What template are you using for the tile? Are you using the Fan Tile? If so, it should show the speed.

Correct on the fan tile.

The fan tile displays the speed, not the state of the switch. So if it's off, it still shows "low" on the tile, not "off" like I would expect which is what threw me off. I'd even be happy with the whole tile turning green when it's on, but no color when it's off for example.

I don't understand the screen shot you posted isn't from the dashboard?

fan1

No because showing the dashboard tile wouldn't show the switch state and since Ryan already posted his, I didn't think mine was necessary since it's identical to what his shows.

1 Like

Are your ceiling fans all controlled by the Lutron Fan Control? I notice your Guest Bedroom Ceiling Fan Fan shows "off" but mine don't show that.

That must be the difference then, No mine are the Hampton Bay Fan Controllers. I would think since you're looking for two separate attributes you would need two separate tiles 1. for fan speed and 1. switch on/off

That's not how the fan tile works.

When you click on it you can choose the speed which turns the fan "on" to that speed. When you turn it "off", it turns off the fan, but still shows the speed on the tile. I'd prefer it show "off" or again, turn a different color when on and no color when off for easy identification. Just my request / preference.

1 Like

That is how it works for my fan controller, I was inquiring if that maybe needed for the Lutron fan Controller (idk). Because what you are asking is how mine does operate when selecting the fan on the dashboard tile and making a selection the same selection happens on the device page.

fan2 fan3 fan4 fan5

So I'll have to pass to someone who has one of these controllers as they must be different in some way and they would be better suited. @patrick may be able to help

Thanks for the feedback! But yeah, even when it's off, the speed is still set, not in an off position. I'm guessing this was done so when you turn the fan back on it remembers the speed at which it was previously set to which is good.

1 Like

You can always add a switch tile to show the state. The lutron driver is slightly different in this case then the others. Will discuss internally if we intend on commonizing behavior going forward.

1 Like

Info about on/off state would be useful, it used to display the off state prior to a recent update. I was remote when I applied the update and afterwards couldn't figure out if the fan was really off when it was displaying low. A change of color would be a fine way of displaying on/off status similar to the way lights are shown. I would find having to use two tiles, one for speed display and one for on/off state to be both annoying and a waste of display space.

1 Like