Custom app support

Did anyone notice this?

Clicking on the question mark icon takes you here..

@bravenel
Bruce, It would be really nice if this link could be configurable so I can send people to my website
Is it possible to expose a variable to include a link which we can change?

Something like state.helpPage = "http://..."
If this variable doesn't exist in the app code then go to a default page on the docs.hubitat.com site?

OR.. just give each developer access to write to their app page

Andy

1 Like

In response to the 'theme' of this thread..

The next release of Cobra Apps will be able to disable all child apps with one on/off switch.
Each of the parent apps 'Average All', 'Message Central' etc will also have the ability to disable all child apps.

This will completely disable the apps not just pause their operation (although you will still have the ability to pause any child app)

I'm thinking that if there are any issue in the future, then this may aid in troubleshooting.
Luckily, my apps have not caused any real problems up to now (as far as I'm aware :slight_smile: )

Andy

3 Likes

So there would be a global switch for all your apps, then if you should wish a individual switch per parent app?

In Cobra Apps....

In one of the parents.. (this one is Average All")

Of course, you will still be able to 'Pause' any child app the same as usual

Andy

2 Likes

From early on Rule Machine when it was installed on SmartThings had a link to its user guide, which was then a page in the community. Right now it does the same thing, just links to a page in our community.

href url:"https://community.hubitat.com/t/rule-machine-user-guide/278", style:"embedded", required:false, title:"View User Guide", description: ""

This is how you do it, you don't need anything new.

I think I've found a good way to completely disable the child apps...
Simply by 'unsubscribing'

Can you see any problems with this method Bruce @bravenel

Yeah, I was thinking about this.. it's just that the question mark has to go to somewhere :slight_smile:

An app instance can be run by three means: a subscription, a schedule or opening the app. So,

unsubscribe()
 unschedule()

will effectively disable an app, other than it being opened by the user.

1 Like

That's what I thought :slight_smile:

Thanks

What question mark? Do you mean in the url? Just construct that string.

This one..
In any app

Click it and you get.....

I completely understand at this time in your venture that these are not thoughts on your radar. However I don't agree with the above statement from my vantage. As a developer, if I had a way to monetize my apps on HE, I'm happy to pay a percentage to Hubitat for the platform and a little extra support in that process.

It's a win win, think App Store.

1 Like

This would only really work if the apps could be compiled to hide the source.
I know RBoy (on ST) has a disclaimer in his app code saying you can't copy/distribute without permission but who is actually taking notice of that?

The native apps are hidden. So could the purchased apps be I imagine. Pie in the sky, none the less.

1 Like

Funny you should mention this. This is exactly what we think also.

Even this is unlikely to be sufficient. Do you know what a support interaction actually costs? Why do you think the big companies all have call centers in India?

Challenge: Find any technology company that provides customer support for third party software!

I'm in

Admittedly no I do not understand the business behind the request.

I was not suggesting that HE should support end user of the custom apps. I was suggesting HE could support the developer. Which you do, to great extent. But this could monetize it. Just Friday morning thoughts, carry on. :crazy_face:

How much per month are you willing to pay? Or how much per support ticket?

Yeah, exactly like that, what platform is that?

That's fantastic!

I would think somewhere in the $10/month $100/year range. I could even see different levels of support or priority support options.

As an example: I pay $70/year for support on my BlueIris server. Well worth it for the piece of mind I need when things aren't going right. They even help with training for functions I don't understand.

1 Like