Curious: why hasn’t hubitat made a slick dashboard (wink/HomeKit)

Being the "one hub to rule them all" no but... I'm kinda betting they'd love to sell as many as they could. Easy-to-build slick dashboards (with data graphs) sell, even if you're more into the automation than display, it's basic marketing.

As much as everyone argues it's not important/not a priority/of un-measurable value; the OP's dashboard comments have come up a whole lot before his post, and a whole lot since.

Like in many other cases in HE-land, the fact that people have worked around it (and can) to get what they want ...is not so much a sign of strength as lost opportunity.

If making a slick dashboard is so easy, then some end user should make one instead of telling Hubitat how easy it is. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

In a general sense, sure I guess. But since we’re neither staff nor investors, it’s pointless to resurrect threads that are two years old and otherwise long dead just to lecture the staff on how to grow their business.

2 Likes

I came upon this thread looking at the evolution of comments about Dashboards. Is there some time limit on threads? Dang, clue me in if so.

The immediate defense of the points here reminds me when we had large teams of programmers working on projects, and when the end user test group or marketing came in and said, "that could be nicer/easier/more friendly" the programmers said..."nah, just get use to it, we did".

Then the programmers were reminded who the customers were, or that we actually wanted to sell a lot of this software, to non-programmers...gasp.

1 Like

Unfortunately (IMO) this forum doesn’t auto-close extremely old topics, although many others do (and I believe there are generally good reasons to).

Users advocating for features they want is not the same thing as “you should do this because you’ll sell more hubs.”

2 Likes

To b be fair, we shouldn't dismiss requests from relatively newer members compared to ourselves just because they have been discussed to some sense of a conclusion previously. We should at least acknowledge, digest and explain why we feel the previous points made are still relevant. Times do change, including priorities, so re-invogorating old conversations is not a bad thing.... Admittedly that sounds "high-and-mighty", mostly because I have enjoyed my recent foray into dashboard design / development ... :slight_smile:

There has always seemed an appetite for latching onto what users want and what the HE staff have capacity and capability to deliver, so we shouldn't discourage initiating old topics of conversation so early....

3 Likes

That said, I'm not trying to take sides here, one solution is not better than another.. I chart most of my metrics using influxdb / grafana on an rpi4.... but don't want to stifle conversation in the process...

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. We know that the built-in dashboard is in need for enhancements, and it is on our radar for 2022. However, Hubitat's priority has been to deliver a solid home automation platform, first. A dashboard is less of an automation tool and more of a remote control tool.

11 Likes