Create motion sensor from contact sensor

I once saw a process for creating a motion sensor from a contact sensor but am unable to find it again. Does anyone know how to do this?

This?

I'm not sure I understand the question....do you mean physically adding a motion sensor onto a contact sensor? Or do you mean in the driver, changing a motion sensor to a contact sensor? I know of know way to physically convert a contact sensor into a motion sensor. I would just buy a motion sensor to begin with.

You could create a virtual motion sensor and the just write a rule that changes the status of the virtual motion sensor base on the contact sensor being open or closed.

2 Likes

A simple way would be to use Rule Machine triggered off of changes to the contact sensor. Then, have the actions update the status of a virtual motion sensor appropriately.

@gassgs beat me to the same suggestion by mere seconds. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

You could also modify any community contact sensor driver to include the motion capability. There are one or 2 drivers of this kind already floating around for use with Amazon/Alexa.

There is an example in Hubitats sample code on GitHub...

4 Likes

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.