Create a string with several device values (attributes) for the purpose of speaking the string

I would like to create a text string to speak out over my speakers. I would like the string to be comprised of various words with several values from one specific device integrated into various parts of the text string. Haven't done anything like this in a while, anybody have some tips for how to proceed? Once I have the string I will have no problem figuring out how to have it announce over my speakers, I am more interested in the steps to create the string.

Thanks.

I have one example of such a rule in the first post of this thread:

Though, as you can also see from that post, it was a bit cumbersome, so I wrote the custom app to replace it. :slight_smile: My rule was even a bit easy: I only cared about binary(ish) states, so they were easy to check with a conditional. To get arbitrary values into the string, you'd have to assign thr attribute value to another variable first, then build your new string using that variable inside (or whatever gets you what you want).

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply, I was afraid I would need to do what you commented above. No big deal its not that hard to do, just a little cumbersome. I received a Meater probe for Christmas and have integrated this meat thermometer with HE. It has attributes like meat temperature, time remaining, type of meat being cooked, etc....

I will create a rule that changes these device values into variable values, then create a much longer variable string with words combined with the above variable values, then speak that variable string.

1 Like