Could the backup feature be killing my z-wave

Yes.

There was a thread that culminated in a fix, but apparently, it still persists.

What is/was the fix and how many people does this affect, is it device specific? If so I think everyone would appreciate a bit of upfront honesty here from hubitat so we can at least be aware of any potential problems. For me with just 6 z-wave devices it's not such a big issue, some people have dozens of devices.

It was a change they made in the hub software.
As I said-it persists. It happened to me this morning again.
I am on that hub version I can't talk about, but not sure that makes a difference.

I'm on 2.3.6.146.

Other details may also be contributing to the issues being faced with both meshes being affected. I would zero in on a specific rule / automation to work out what the issue is likely to be....

You'd think you'd be good to go, but alas...

edit: I just saw that was for C-5. I think C-8 fix predated that.

Only z-wave is affected. It's sorted for the time being as the restore fixed it for now at least. I think we'd all like to know some more about this underlying issue though. If there us a known issue I think we should be told about it. I think a bug tracker within these forums would be a good idea.

Seems the issue goes beyond the C5. I wonder if the fix for the C5 is having the opposite effect on the C8. I think my problems only started after the last update.

As I said, this is a job for the Z-Man, @bcopeland .

That's good that it is resolved, if only temporarily...

They have introduced known issues in the current release, which I think is a goo inclusion, I can understand that maintaining that for historical versions could be complicated, and encouraging people onto the current platform version would be advanageous.

Or anyone else in the dev-team...?

I think as I don't have and changes to make at the moment or for the foreseeable future I will stop backups until this gets fixed.

Personally I would feel uncomfortable enough to engage with HE support to troubleshoot the issue, but if you are happy for someone else in the future to encounter what appears to be an uncommon issue and work through it then,... that's up to you... but who knows when that may get resolved... Which may include the need for multiple platform updates / backups....

Seems to me they are already aware of the problem. If they weren't they are now. If they want my assistance then I'm sure they'll reach out. Although I'm sure there are enough more knowledgeable people than me that are already involved in working on the problem.

1 Like

On the other hand, we're paying a bit of a premium for cloud backup.
I understand recovering from a radio database failure, or whatever it's called, is a nightmare without the cloud backup.
That's why I'm continuing to do it.

I wonder if restoring the backup that caused the problem would work ok or is it best to use one that completed without causing a problem? I guess if the most recent backup even if it did cause the problem restores everything to working order and that until a permanent fix is implemented and a restore will ALWAYS resolve the problem then it is probably best to continue with backups since the restore is such a simple process. I would like confirmation of the above though before I reinstate the backup process.
Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

At this point few if any devices are suffering from the backup z-wave radio shutting down issue. Most didn't have the issue, it was a low number that did. Once .145 was released things seem to normalize. I would start looking at apps running high at the same time or spammy z-wave devices....But as said Victor and Bryan are the ones to look at it...

Yet I don't seem to be the only person with the issue. I would hazard a guess there are quite a few more that just haven't worked out the cause yet.

But now, as Z-Man is more MatterMan, perhaps don't hold your breath.
As I said, it happened to me this morning, as discussed in that section of the forum I can mention.

You don’t have to be coy.

Cloud backup failures causing z-wave radio issues is something they were working on and was being discussed in beta threads (and non-beta threads).

A fix was applied at some point. I do not know the current status, or if there could be a new issue that’s related, or a new issue that’s not related but may have similar symptoms.

1 Like