Costco has Z-Wave Smoke alarms on sale

Yup I have a Halo as well, they didn’t make a wire-free version before they went belly up, unfortunately.

I have an Ecolink Firefighter too and now that I’m outfitting a new house with smoke/CO detectors (CO = carbon monoxide, CO2 = carbon dioxide btw), I actually plan to use dumb detectors with the 10-year batteries and use the Firefighters to integrate with Hubitat.

I use this smart stick to test/hush detectors. Works great, and it even cleans my house :wink:!

4 Likes

Does it really matter if they are "Linking" if you're using them with Hubitat?

When you are on the second floor and one goes off in the basement when they are linked they all go off. One of my kids has very poor hearing and wouldn't hear an alert from the basement.

You can setup an external Siren with Hubitat but would be my choice for a secondary alert along with lights turning on in the house and turning off the HVAC.

1 Like

Are there building code implications? I thought in my area detectors needed to be hard-wired (linked) with battery backup.

IRRC codes can vary by region, and the type of remodel. We did a remodel a while back that added about 500 sq feet to our house in CA and we were not required to put in wired detectors. I don't know if the current code here is different.

Not only codes for that but Illinois is outlawing replaceable battery detectors in 2023. Each non lines detector sold must have a "10 year" battery in them and be fully disposed of when they start to beep or reach their 10 year date. By the way the 10 year batter is only rated if the detector doesn't go off in the 10 years. Your mileage will vary on how often you test or burn things in the kitchen.

One has to wonder if the Z-wave model meets the " Homes with hardwired units, or units running on Wi-Fi or low-powered radio frequencies, are [not required] to comply with the revised law" language.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.