Corrupt database

Hello all,

I tried to force a power cycle by unplugging the USB power supply, and then plugging it back in again.

The situation has gotten even worse. The WEB UI fails to connect, and when I try the 8081 port, I get "Error:failed to fetch." This happens after I paste in the MAX Address in the login dialog for the diagnostic tool. The page comes up, showing the version, model revisiion number and all. However, none of the buttons--including the "soft reset" button are enabled.

Patrick

Tagging the @support_team.

2 Likes

@user1067 Yeah this is pretty weird. Unplug power for 5 mins not just in and out. Then boot up. Regardless of the corrupt database message. Now do a soft reset from 8081. See how far you get now. I'm sure someone from @support_team will get to you quickly.

2 Likes

Ok. I unplugged the device, let the dogs out, and plugged it back in. Still nothing. A few hours later, I let the dogs out, and the intruder alert on the HSM went off. I looked at the hubitat UI on the web, and it was running. Unfortunately, it loaded the newest backup from the saved local backups which was made overnight--when the HSM was armed for night. So when I opened the door, naturally the alert triggered and my two siren devices went off.

Then I tried to do a soft reset, and the soft reset failed to wipe out the database. And it had loaded a backup different from the one I loaded the last time I had a successful soft reset. And I cannot reboot the device without it going offline for several hours, and then magically coming back--using the local backup. The autommations seem to be running fine right now, so I do not want to mess with this device anymore.

I cannot control some of the lights in my home without this hub, so I am going to leave it there for now. In the meantime, I ordered another c7 device off Amazon, and purchased the four year warranty plan. Even though I have Prime, it will still take two weeks to get here. I can still cancel the order if I solve this problem.

Now you mentioned "engineering logs." I am a software engineer. Is there a way I can look at these logs myself?

Patrick

No...

You could have just gotten hub protect through Hubitat. So weird this is going on for you.

Can you PM me the hub id? If it's online, I can check the engineering logs on it.

How do I PM you? And does the hub have to have remote access enabled to meet the criteria of "being online?" Keep in mind, I am deaf-blind.

Click his name then click Message

It has to have access to the internet and be able to be seen at my.hubitat.com

1 Like

It looks like the hub loses power and reboots very frequently.

Can you try replacing a power adapter with a different one? The power draw is low, so pretty much any USB adapter will work. A different USB cable would be the next thing to try.

You can see how often the hub reboots by checking Logs page, Hub events tab.

4 Likes

Hello,

I replaced both adaptor and cable. There is this drawer in my basement I think breeds cables. :wink: How do I check the power draw level?

The new power supply seems to have solved the problem. I will re-update the OS to revision 130 to test it out.

Thanks
Patrick

1 Like

Grab the latest one instead... there have been some notable bug fixes since 130.

No easy way to do it with just the hub, but we've never had a report with adapters causing issues by being underpowered.

3 Likes

The update, reboot, and initialization went smoothly. Previously, I observed that sometimes the initialization I updated to revision 138 successfully. The reboot went smoothly, and the initialization went smoothly. I noticed before that the initialization would sometimes restart and take a long time to complete. This time, no steps were repeated and it completed in an orderly manner.

Thanks. I think this problem is now solved.

Patrick

2 Likes

Definitely gotta add this one to my personal knowledgebase!

Thanks @gopher.ny !

2 Likes

I was having trouble maintaining a connection to a z-wave lock in the garage, so I was moving the hub around to try to make that happen. And that using a new adaptor since the one that I was using before was built into the powerstrip. It just never occured to me that this would cause so much trouble in other ways. Ah well...

3 Likes

I arose to this lovely event today. Hub logging ceased around 0800.

Pulled power and installed a higher output (1.55A) wart. It did appear the logs showed frequent restarts. Pretty sure I was using the brick that came with it @1A.

Started it to the same error and did a soft reset then restore 2nd latest DB from the hub.

Everything seems OK but I'm going to do a few reboots, shutdowns, hard power pull/cycles.

Don't do this while the hub is running only after you shut it down from the menu. A 2a will work as well, pretty much if it works with your phone it will work with hubitat.

I had to pull power, I could not get to the maintenance menu. I wasn't going to risk a reset/restore with flakey power anyway and risk bricking it. If you mean on the testing, I did shutdown before pulling power, probably worded that poorly. I normally do use the shutdown if needed and also have NUT running on a Pi and a rule running to shut down on low battery.

Hub started acting up again, blinking red green like a network issue but responding to ping and I could access the maintenance port. Caught it on one last reboot and it showed the corrupt database message again.

I think I'll reach out to support to see what's up after once again doing a soft reset and restore from cloud backup (protect subscription).

@Hubitat_Staff @bobbyD

1 Like

We reached out to you, instead :slight_smile: See my private message. We'd like to further investigate.

3 Likes