Corrupt database found - any advise?

Priceless! Amazing how quickly we get use to great home automation!

Glad to hear you are back up and running!

3 Likes

Just came back from a short vacation with limited internet access. Glad it worked out. I'll dig through the logs for clues.

5 Likes

I'm with your daughter on that one :smiley:

My family considers Home Automation the same as air: Sometimes there's cooking smells but for the most part, it's invisible. It's ME that has the big issues I think... I go to someone else's house and will pause waiting for the light to turn on, mentally trying to plot out how to check the Hub. But there is no hub, it's not my house, they don't have automation, ahh. flip the switch on the wall. How crude. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Same thing is now happening to me. Last night I got a message about my database growing (1000+) so I tried rebooting a couple of times but the message didn't go away. This morning I got a currupt database message so I couldn't access anything in my hub:

I did a soft reset (downloaded a backup of course) but no luck getting back into my hub afterward. This is all I see when trying to access the hub from my computer:

As OP did I will leave it alone for an hour.

Another question, does a backup contain all apps and automations? In other words, will it revert exactly as it was before the soft reset?

What do you see if you access the hub on port 8081? http : // :8081 Can you access this? Can you reboot from this page? What do you see after a reboot?

Admittedly buying time for @bobbyD or HE staff to assist...

Sounds like you are in a similar situation to @k2.mathew

I can get into the Diagnostic Tool via port 8081:

What if you reboot?

What seemed to be working last night for a couple people that had this issue was re-attempting the soft reset. (Reboot was getting stuck at around 15% or so...)

2 Likes

Yeah, now that you mention it, I did see @aaiyar suggesting this earlier... to @azz710

1 Like

Yes reboot is successful! And it looks like all my devices, apps, and automations are back to where they were before.

Just a simple question: If my database is curropted and I take a backup afterward and then restore that backup after a soft reset aren't I loading back a curropted backup?

1 Like

I think it is ok... but HE staff can answer that with more authority than me...

Glad to hear you are back up and running :slight_smile:

oh okay. Hopefully the support team can chime in on that.

Thanks to you and @thebearmay for the fast responses! I was starting to have a heart attack this morning.

2 Likes

Have seen a thread from last month where HE staff were suggesting to keep an eye on the logs following the soft reset to make sure nothing re-occurs that may have caused your issue. Probably a good idea to keep an eye out for anything strange.

Backing up and restoring the data base removes the corruption. I have had bad backups though and had to load a prior backup. A good reason to keep multiple backups on another device.

1 Like

Good suggestion, I download 14 days worth to a raspberry pi. From memory there is a reasonable number kept in cloud for you as well...

It depends on what exactly got corrupted. Generally, I'd go with a previous backup.

How do I know what's been corrupted?

It contains all apps (including automations and app code), devices and device drivers. It doesn’t include files that are added through the file manager. Only the cloud backup include the z-wave database, but restoring the file backup leaves what’s there alone, so this doesn’t cause any issues.

I have done many soft resets and many restores on my main hub and have not had any issues (yet…). It’s scary the first time, not so much the 5th…. :wink:

2 Likes

Seems like so long ago now but I was doing soft resets 2-4 times a day when I needed to test different HubConnect configurations. Soft reset to a backup that has no HubConnect and install it, through soft reset to a config that had the most recent version and do the upgrade.

I haven't needed to do one very often but the practice of doing it 4 times in one day sure improves confidence. :slight_smile:

1 Like

After doing a soft reset I'm starting to see this alert again:

I assumed it was related to the ghost node that I can't find a way to delete. How do I confirm the root cause of this alert?