Correct way in Rule Machine to do this light on motion then off after 5 minutes?

Let me see if I can break it down.

Turn on if any door opens or motion
Turn off of both doors closed and motion stops 5 minutes delay, motion will reset delay

Turn off if one door is open and motion stops after 10 minutes

yeah i see that what i dont know is is there a command to make it go to the a final rule? in my field we have a "then next term" or "then term xxxx"

this would make it drop to the my last else-if ( or does that just need to an "else"

here is a similiar one but with the addition off a virtual switch that gets turned on with a physical light turn on to disable the automtion so the lights can stay on.

Here is one I did a while ago:

There is a motion sensor and a contact switch. The light will turn on with motion and off when motion stops - which is 30 seconds in the case of the sensor I use. If the door is closed then it won't turn off the light.

Two notes: 1) I forget why I used "NOT open" instead of "closed." 2) The contact switch can probably be removed from the trigger events. If the door is being opened or closed you will likely trigger the motion sensor anyway. I mean you could open or close the door really, really slowly but what's the use case for that? :wink:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

i was going to ask if it make a difference? lol

It works so I didn't bother with it. I plan on adding more to the rule eventually and revisit it then. I have to install the Inovelli switches first. That way guests can turn off the lights without killing the power to the bulbs. Not that they need to turn them off as they will turn off by themselves but I don't want to explain that every time. So I'll give them a button to press. :wink:

My other bathroom already uses a Pico remote to do the same thing. You can use the Pico to override the default behavior. I use a Pico there because the bathroom only has a single gang box that contained both a switch and the only power outlet in the room. I updated the ancient and (as I found when I removed it) switch/outlet. I replaced it with a GFI outlet and used a double switch plate to mount the Pico as well.

Lol I put security covers on mine that you can only turn off the switch with a pencil or you can remove side wings to allow access but .makes them stop and :thinking:

Yeah, I just wanted to give them something to push. It is unnecessary but it makes people feel at ease.

going to try and phase out those bulbs since it dont connect very well LOL

Which bulbs?

The smart life stuff that connect to Google but want evething local

At this point I'm looking forward to the final automation, lights out permanently :joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.