Convert device (Google) from dynamic to static IP?

I've been unable to find this and feel pretty incompetent.

I didn't realize my Google devices (some of each: google home, google mini, and one of the things with a display) should be configured with a static IP before I added them to my Hubitat. But I added them, set up some rules that leverage them, and all was good for a while.

Now the IPs have all rotated (I could see in Hubitat that the IPs for the devices were not correct for the current configuration) and the rules broke. So I went in to my router and configured static IPs for all the devices, however I can't seem to find a way to refresh this in the Hubitat dashboard.

Is there a way to do this without removing and readding all the devices? This seems like something I should be able to do, but the likely commands from the Device page (Initialize and Refresh) don't seem to do it. I went in to the Google Home app on my phone to re-add all my devices and that does not seem to have refreshed the IP either.

I bet it's possible to remove all these devices and re-add them again and that would probably fix the configuration, but this requires me to break down and fix all my rules and I'd rather simply do a refresh.

Thanks in advance for any help and again, sorry if I just didn't find this in the forums!

Do a DHCP reservation in your router for each device. That way when they boot they always are issued the same IP. This also makes it easier to find out what device has what ip in one place... This is essentially the same as setting a static IP

1 Like

I have done that. Hunkiest still has an old, incorrect address for my devices. Is it possible to refresh in hubitat without being to delete and re-add each device?

First, I think we should rename "Hubitat" to "Hunkiest" - that is perfect. :wink:

How/where have you added your Google devices to HE?

2 Likes

You can go into the chromecast app in HE and hit reinitialize, but you still want to reserve or you will continue to have this issue.

2 Likes

OK - this is my best and most unexpected autocorrect error of all time. I will never top this moment, thank you. It turns out I did not understand how the devices were bootstrapped via the "Chromecast Integration (beta)" app. I've done "Rerun discovery" (following the advocacy from rlithgow1) and am hopeful this was what I needed. Thanks!

EDIT: this was it. "Rerun discovery" made Hubitat relearn the (now static) IPs from my Google devices, and afterward all of my existing announcement rules were in tact. Thanks!!

2 Likes

I think that will do it. :slight_smile:

And I'm sorry, but this "DOH" moment of yours is barely a ripple on the surface of the ocean of dumb-a** things we have all done. See below for proof... :wink:

1 Like

so, if you want your devices to be static, and I assume that google devices have no option to be static. here's the best option

1st find out what the MAC address of your devices are that you want to be static. they will be something like 00-33-59-71-9F-E7-DB

once you find out the MAC , not document what you want their IP's to be.

then you will need to go into your router/firewall and there should be an option somewhere (and this is where it gets hard cause every manufacture has its own idea on how it wants you to confiigure it) set the MAC address to always get the same IP address. It's called Reserving an IP

here's an example of it on a Netgear and linksys.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck

1 Like

I mean, I know how to configure static IPs for my devices and thought I said so in my original post. The problem was that hubitat learned the IPs at initial setup and I didn't know how to make it relearn what I had newly configure them to.

Somebody may need these pointers though, so thanks for trying to help!