Controlling lights on a dimmer with motion sensor

The lights in my office are on a dimmer and controlled by a motion sensor. Here's what I'm looking to have happen:

1. If the lights are off and motion is detected, turn the lights on at 100%
  2. If the lights are on and motion is detected, leave them alone (ie. don't set the brightness back to 100% if they were dimmed)
  3. If the motion sensor goes inactive for 15 minutes, turn the lights off

I've got this working with two rules, but I really feel like I should be able to do it with one. I've only had my HE for a few hours, so I'm still learning my way around the rules.

Motion Lighting app

Ha, I was in the wrong app entirely! That did the trick, thanks!

1 Like

I have noticed one little quirk with this. If I manually turn the lights off (say with a switch on a dashboard), and walk out of the room, the motion sensor won't turn the lights back on until after the 15 minute delay has expired. If I walk back into the room 5 minutes later, the lights won't come on. I've looked through as many settings as I can see in the Motion Lighting app, and don't see anything that obviously controls this. Any tips?

Thanks!

Brian

I like mine set up that way because I don't want them coming back on if I'm walking out of the room and motion picks me up.

I THINK you'll need rule machine to accomplish this though and possibly (don't quote me) a separate rule for on and off. For my bathroom I use rule machine with separate rules because I have different conditions and a total of 6 lights in there.

Ah, ok. Maybe I was right at the beginning - it takes two rules to pull off exactly what I'm looking for. I like the cleanliness of the current setup, so I'll see how much the behaviour bugs me before deciding if I want to setup two rules to handle it. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.