Controlling Inovelli Switch LED color and brightness without creating child devices

Inovelli switch drivers provided by Inovelli can control LED color and brightness (when on) through adding a child device, but I found this to be awkward, and it didn't provide me the flexibility I wanted. Inovelli drivers now (as of October 2020) support a custom command: setConfigParameter that sends any available configuration command to the switch. You set three numbers: parameter number, value, size, for each command you send. The package inserts for each of the switches has a list of switch parameter numbers, range of values, and size. As noted below, the inserts have occasional errors when it comes to size.

With that, I was able to put together some rules to change LED color of all switches, and to change the brightness of the LED when the switch is off so the LED is completely off in the daytime, and on dimly at night. Following are some examples. None of my rules have triggers. The actions are either run manually (like this first one), or run by another rule. The first changes the LED color to orange (for Halloween):

setConfigParameter(5, 21, 2) on Ext. Living Room, Hall to Family Room, Ext. Master Bedroom, Family Room Fan, Hall by Thermostat, Bath Middle, Hall Entry to Bedrooms, Kitchen Under Cabinets, Hall by Kid's Bathroom, Kitchen Main, Kitchen Prep Counter, Office light and fan, Bedroom Front, Ext. Front, Living Room Fan, Bath Half Light, Bedroom Master Fan, Bath Half Fan, Bedroom Master Hall, Ext. Kitchen, Laundry Fan, Ext. Garage Side, Bath Master, Bedroom Middle, Kitchen Dining Island
setConfigParameter(13, 21, 2) on Bedroom Master, Dining Room, Entry, Bedroom Master Sinks, Living Room Light, Family Room Light

I have two types of Inovelli switches: black on/off, and red dimmers. They use different parameter numbers, so the switches have to be separated into two actions. The first action is for the black on/off; the second for the red dimmers.

Note that when you add parameters to the action in RM, you add one at a time rather than typing all three on the same line (which is what I naturally tried first). Also note that the configuration parameter information in the Inovelli documentation for the Inovelli red dimmer for LED color is wrong: the parameter size is 2 (the last number of the three in setConfigParameter), not 1.

I then cloned this rule for all my other LED actions. Cloning meant that I had to type this list once only, and just had to edit the parameter numbers.

Another example: setting the LED off brightness to zero (none):

IF (Variable InovelliLEDsOn(false) = true(F) [FALSE]) THEN
	setConfigParameter(7, 0, 1) on Ext. Living Room, Hall to Family Room, Ext. Master Bedroom, Family Room Fan, Hall by Thermostat, Bath Middle, Hall Entry to Bedrooms, Kitchen Under Cabinets, Hall by Kid's Bathroom, Kitchen Main, Kitchen Prep Counter, Office light and fan, Bedroom Front, Ext. Front, Living Room Fan, Bath Half Light, Bedroom Master Fan, Bath Half Fan, Bedroom Master Hall, Ext. Kitchen, Laundry Fan, Ext. Garage Side, Bath Master, Bedroom Middle, Kitchen Dining Island
	setConfigParameter(15, 0, 1) on Bedroom Master, Dining Room, Entry, Bedroom Master Sinks, Living Room Light, Family Room Light
	Set InovelliLEDsOn to false
END-IF

Here I used a global variable (InovelliLEDsOn) so that I wouldn't needlessly send out configuration commands if the LEDs were already set to off. This simplified using this rule in other rules, since the logic is closely tied to the actions. Similarly, the actions for turning LED brightness when switch is off to 1:

IF (Variable InovelliLEDsOn(false) = false(T) [TRUE]) THEN
	setConfigParameter(7, 1, 1) on Ext. Living Room, Hall to Family Room, Ext. Master Bedroom, Family Room Fan, Hall by Thermostat, Bath Middle, Hall Entry to Bedrooms, Kitchen Under Cabinets, Hall by Kid's Bathroom, Kitchen Main, Kitchen Prep Counter, Office light and fan, Bedroom Front, Ext. Front, Living Room Fan, Bath Half Light, Bedroom Master Fan, Bath Half Fan, Bedroom Master Hall, Ext. Kitchen, Laundry Fan, Ext. Garage Side, Bath Master, Bedroom Middle, Kitchen Dining Island
	setConfigParameter(15, 1, 1) on Bedroom Master, Dining Room, Entry, Bedroom Master Sinks, Living Room Light, Family Room Light
	Set InovelliLEDsOn to true
END-IF

In another rule, I run the actions in these rules when appropriate (e.g., LED brightness when switch is off set to 1 at night, 0 during the day). Keeping these separate from the rules calling them makes editing and cloning much simpler.

I just manually run the LED orange rule actions on Halloween and other LED rule actions (e.g., red on Xmas) on the correct date. It's so rare that those run that I don't put any automation on them.

This is pretty sweet -- I just had all my LED's set for orange for Halloween as well and you're right, it was kinda weird to setup. I'll give this a shot (still haven't figured out what I want to do for Thanksgiving colors) this week.

Thanks for posting!

Is there a good place to go to learn how to change the colors of notifications and how to change the million settings to meet my preferences, or is it just trial and error?

Best place is to search their support and community pages. For example: