Control Hue HDMI Sync box via hubitat?

TIP: when you install the gradient strip orient the power supply on the left side rear. The strip drops right into the peel and stick mounts. I failed an IQ Test at first and had the power supply on the right - when you do it that way the strip faces the wrong way - it needs to be at a 45 degree angle facing up and away. It was not clear in the install instructions. Just start with the power supply end on the left (as if you were facing the TV) and it takes 5 minutes to install.

Did you use a 55" strip on your 75" TV, or is the 55" simply the one you linked? Looks like the 65" and 75" are in short supply.

YES - i used the 55 inch plus the two plays facing down at a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the TV. In my use case i have a bunch of room between the back of the TV and the wall, and the wall is white - very reflective. The 55 plus the Plays worked perfectly. I wanted to go with the bigger but like you global stock is nada. In retrospect the 55 works great, bright as heck and the plays round out the image perfectly.

Ok, cool. I'm currently using two of the standard strips (top and bottom) and four of the Play Bars -- two mounted on the TV facing left and right, and two behind the furniture underneath the TV.

I ordered one of the 55" strips yesterday, so I'll see how it looks against the wall vs the normal strips. I'm interested in the "resolution" of the lighting it puts out to the strip.

Thanks for your insight on this. If I put together anything cool, I'll follow-up here.

The gradient strip will blow your mind. I love HUE products, by far it and the sync box are taking "surround sound for the eyes" to a new level. completely different experience than to have fixed color strips. Resolution as you say is unreal - the colors at the edge of the TV continue exactly. i suggest moderate or even subtle for video mode. you will love it. j

I'm seeing this error...

But the Sync box is working and responds to on/off etc commands from the relevant Hubitat device page.

When I try the registration flow (which I understand to be: turn on TV, click on register tile on the device driver page, click on the top button on the Sync box for a few seconds) the white light on the Sync box does not turn green.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much to the devs of this driver.

This will be extremely useful for me because I find that my lightstrips remain on after I stop syncing and that is super annoying when I'm trying to go to bed at night. I've played with the settings in the Hue/Hue Sync app and no matter what I've tried I can't fix it.

Now, a couple of rules in Rule Machine should take care of the issue.

Update: I've tested it out and it works great. Thanks again.

1 Like

Can you post your rule? I need to add exactly this.

Separately, @dan.t I've tried to register my Sync box for a while and can't get it to work. I keep getting connect timeouts in the logs. I'm sure that the IP address is correct. I've tried unplugging the Sync box and plugging it in again. I've pressed the button on the front many times for 2-7 seconds. If I just do 2-3 seconds, it flashes green, then switches to red (standby). I think if I press for closer to 5-7 seconds, it flashes green, then stays white (on). Any tips?

Sure. I have set up two rules to make sure the lights are off when I'm not syncing video. I've added additional triggers and predicate conditions that wouldn't apply to your setup so I've highlighted the ones specifically to the sync box:

Exactly the same here (see my post just above)...

So I was able to add a Philips Hue remote dimmer and with Rule Machine I programmed the buttons to change the brightness of the sync box:

On: 50 Brightness
Up: 80 Brightness
Down: 25 Brightness
Off: 0 Brightness

My question is whether there is a way to write a rule to change up and down buttons so that it is incrementally +/- 20 brightness.

@dan.t Not sure if you're still working on this driver or not but I noticed the switch state sometimes does not match the state variables, which in this case shows the sync box switch off although it is actually on and running.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.