Control an Apple Home Kit device (Koogeek)

That’s correct. Homebridge is able to bring smart home devices that are not HomeKit-enabled into the Apple Home app on your iOS device. But it doesn’t work the other way around.

Im not familiar with koogeek but my guess is that’s a brand that makes smart devices with WiFi connectivity?

One problem with most brands of WiFi switches is that they aren’t usually designed to work outside of the closed ecosystem they are a part of, and are limited to being controlled by a single mobile app.

Switches that use the z-wave or zigbee standards are much easier to integrate with a variety of home automation controllers, like Hubitat.

How many of those switches do you have? If you’re just getting started with home automation, consider z-wave or zigbee devices rather than WiFi.

You mentioned your electricity is 240V 50Hz, which country are you in? Local availability of devices can differ a lot from region to region of the world.

4 Likes

It's fairly simple actually.

Create a virtual switch under Hubitat and exposed that through Maker to Homebridge.

Under Homekit (Home App) create the following automations.

KooGeek Switch Turns On, turn On Virtual Switch
KooGeek Switch Turns Off, turn Off Virtual Switch
Virtual Switch Turns On, Turn On KooGeek Switch
Virtual Switch Turns Off, Turn Off KooGeek Switch

Then create a rule under Hubitat however you like.

5 Likes

That could work, but it assumes that one has an iPad, Apple TV or HomePod always-on at home. Otherwise the Apple Home automations aren’t an option.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I would assume he has this. Otherwise why buy those products....

1 Like

It depends I guess. All one needs is an iPhone or iPad to control devices in the home with the Apple home app.

You must have an always on iPad that can run the latest iOS, or an Apple TV 4 or later (the least expensive option), or a HomePod to do HomeKit automations. There is no other way.

[Edit]
There are actually a few ways, but there's one that's fairly simple.

1 Like

Yes I think that’s what I said re: HomeKit automations. Some people can still use the Apple home app without automations. No assumptions made re: whether the OP has an always-on device that meets the requirement :slight_smile:.

Edit: either way, I’d recommend to someone that says they’re just getting started with home automation to ditch WiFi switches and sensors, unless cost or availability is a major consideration.

5 Likes

Since there are a few points, I'll split them up

1. The switch
    Currently I have only one. My girlfriend bought it half a year ago to test it.
    The idea with syncing a virtual switch is interesting, but I don't have a always-on apple device and I am not planning on getting one.

2. Zigbee and Z-Wave
    As far as I know both of them have problems with range, especially indoors and through walls. My hub is 1 story below our living room, therefor the signal would have to travel around 20m through 3 brick walls and a ceiling with underfloor heating.

3. Where I live
    Just noticed that I had a typo. I meant 230V 50Hz. I live in Germany.

It’s hard to make a blanket statement, although some people certainly could have specific issues that make one or the other protocol particularly problematic in their home environments.

Zigbee and z-wave form mesh networks, unlike WiFi, so if one understands a bit better how the mesh network functions, then most homes can support these networks quite well.

The hub documentation has a couple how-to articles that discuss building out z-wave and zigbee meshes:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Elevation_Documentation

1 Like

Lots of repeaters.

I would think zigbee and z-wave devices would be available in Germany. Note that z-wave radio frequencies differ around the world, so you have to make sure your hub and any devices you get are on the same regional frequency. Usually not that hard to do if you purchase through most legit retail channels in your region.

I thought z-wave is limited to 3 hops?

As far as I have seen it, not really. Most of the stuff you can find is wifi cloud-only. I ordered a z-wave adapter, which you can put behind your regular light switch, but that's the only z-wave related light switch on amazon I could find that's not 100$.

I also just tried the variant with syncing a virtual switch. It shows up in homekit, but on the dashboard it has always the status unknown and toggling it isn't getting relayed to homekit.

It sounds like you're using the wrong device type under the Dashboard.

Double check that, and also go to the device directly in Hubitat and watch the off/on states when activating through HomeKit.

That's how I configured it atm, since there is no Koogeek device.

No this is wrong.

You need to change it to a Virtual Switch.

Oh, got it.
Now I can toggle the switch via homekit and it updates in the dashboard, but when I toggle it through the dashboard, it doesn't change in homekit.

That change will all be dependant on your homekit automations.

You need both ways setup.

KooGeek Switch Turns On, turn On Virtual Switch
KooGeek Switch Turns Off, turn Off Virtual Switch
Virtual Switch Turns On, Turn On KooGeek Switch
Virtual Switch Turns Off, Turn Off KooGeek Switch

That's not what I meant, but I fixed it by rebooting the HE.

Now, I just need to get my hands on an iPad 3+ to get the automation running. :sweat_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help.

Get yourself an apple tv. :slight_smile:

I have three in my house.

I already have a Firestick 4k since it's way cheaper than a 4th gen Apple TV.

And I can use the iPad as a wall dashboard for the HE ^^