Control 3 Switched Lights Together

Hello,
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I've tried numerous different methods after searching and am still getting the same result, so I figured I'd create my own thread.

I have 3 different light switches in my garage:

• Overhead lights (Zooz Switch on three way circuit)
  • Lights down the stairs to the basement (Zooz Switch on three way circuit)
  • Bench lights (Zooz Switch)

I want all of them to be controlled as one group - so if you turn any of the switches that control any of those lights ON/OFF, ALL of the switches mimic that action. I've created a group, and created rules for all three switches that when toggled, turn on ALL lights in the group.

When I do that, sometimes the lights work, but more often than not they turn on and off rapidly for 3-5 seconds, before stopping in random configurations (some on, all on, etc.). I think this is the rules cascading, but can't figure out how to make this work.

Additionally, I have a Zooz motion sensor in the room, and would like that to turn on the group for 10m, but again the same popcorn effect happens.

Thanks in advance!

From your description, it seems that your rule is written so that all lights individually point at each of the other lights, so when one light changes state, the rest also try to do the same. However, when those lights change state, they again, individually try to change state again because they're all pointing at each other. Eventually, RM sees that it's executing a circular logic issue and quits, leaving the three lights in whatever state they were in at the time the rule stopped. I don't use RM (I assume that's what you're using) anymore. I used to use it a long time ago and found it very capable. If you post your rule, I'm sure an RM-knowledgeable person can assist you to get it working correctly.

I use webCoRE now and I wrote this with your issue in mind. It works well if you'd like to try it. I understand if you'd rather not. It works because it ignores taking action on any devices that are already in the state that's been requested - thereby avoiding the cascading effect you're seeing. As I said, I'm sure this same logic can work in RM - and someone who knows RM better than me can assist you with it.

you may find the solution you are looking for in this thread Zooz ZEN 72 dimmer association group doesn't work with double tap - :bellhop_bell: Get Help - Hubitat

It was started out about a specific dimmer but I am using virtual 3 and 4 way configs with Zen77 and Zen76 switches

Did you use Groups or Room lighting?
I would use Room Lighting, it should be able to do what you want.
I have a similar setup in my Kitchen, but I have it setup for a 3x tap does all the lights, otherwise each switch controls only the light attached to it.

1 Like

I'm going to give this a shot, I'm new to webCoRE so it'll take a bit but thank you!

@kenrok1 & @jtp10181 - Ideally, I'd like it to work with the single tap function as the primary switch I'm using is NOT a smart switch, it's a regular 4 way switch. But I'll give Room Lighting a shot, I've been using Groups.

If you get stuck on Room Lighting post a screenshot of what you setup and I can give some tips. You should be able to do what you want for the on/off as well.

Another option, which may actually be the absolute easiest is the custom switch bindings app. It basically is designed to create virtual 3/4 way setups with multiple smart switches. It can do multi-switch bi-directional state mirroring. Disadvantage over room lighting is you cant do much else with it, it just mirrors the states. But if that's all you want to do it will work good.

I use this Room Lighting rule for five sets of lights - four GE/Jasco switches controlling wired dumb lights, and one Zigbee plug controlling a dumb outdoor LED string. If any of the four switches are turned on or off, all five of them turn on/off in sync. Works w/out issues for me. Not saying this is the best way to do it (I rarely reach that rarified space) :wink: , but we've been using this automation for months and it has been trouble-free.

1 Like

Let me know when you try it out and if you run into difficulty.

1 Like

Room Lighting worked absolutely perfectly with some testing, thank you so much! As always, there's a million ways to do a given task, but this seems to override the circular references that I was having before, and it has native inclusion for the motion sensor. I tried all of the smart / dumb switches in the circuits, and they all work.

Thanks again all!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.