Contact Sensors Notifications

Hello Guys

I have a question regarding contact sensors and notifications.

I want the Hubitat to send me a notification around 11PM every-night and inform me if some window is already opened in the house. I am using smartthings contact sensors.

I know HSM can notify when the window opens in the night mode, however what about the windows/doors which are already opened during the day and we forgot to close them?

Please suggest.

Thanks

The playful side to me would say, no, you need to keep your SmartThings setup operational....

But seriously.... :slight_smile: Setup an RM rule that has:

Triggers: Specific Time (11PM)
Actons: IF (Windows (X,Y or Z) are Open
THEN X
ELSE Y

2 Likes

More options can be discussed....

Here is what I have at home, and it even tells me specifically which door is open!

My trigger fires when a specific door (contact sensor) closes.

This particular door opens in the morning, and closes either when we are leaving an empty house, or we are going to bed.

Maybe you have something that can act as a trigger at the end of the day, or you can use Time of day at 11:00 pm as you already do.

This rule runs with a required expression being any of the monitored doors or windows is open. If all of them are closed then it’s not necessary for this rule to run.

Using nested ELSE statements you will not know if there are two doors open -- you will only be notified of the first one the logic finds. Or do you keep opening and closing the trigger door until there are no more alerts?

1 Like

Well yes, that is an option. Another option is to write more conditions with additional Elses, but this works great for me.
It’s just an example.

All you would need to change, if you do want to change the rule, is to replace each ELSE with an END-IF.

I wrote an app that sojnds like it might do what you want, as long as you set up something to "trigger" it:

Or if you don't want a custom app, I showed an example of a rule that I wrote the app to replace. But there's a reason I went with the app instead. :grinning:

4 Likes

This :point_up: :point_up: is great if you want to use an app for your needs. Just works.

@chali
Device Status announcer... Works great...

In this example if it's starts raining or hailing it looks to see if any of the window sensors are open then turns on a virtual switch which triggers Device status announcer to tell me the actual window that is open. When it stops raining it turns the virtual switch off canceling everything, In your case you can adopt this to your bed time. Simply pick certain time as your triggering attribute.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.