Contact Sensor Announcement

Hi,
I have a handful of contact sensors on Windows and doors. Is there anyway to simply have alexa announce that a window is open or closed? the only way I can figure out is add the devices to the alexa echo skill. And inside the alexa app creating a routine, but that is very cumbersome because it only works one way and with one device per routine.

Im also wanting to create a trigger to turn off and on the AC if a window is open for longer than 15 minutes. Whats the best way to create that across all windows?

Thanks.

Add the desired contact sensors as triggers to a Rule Machine rule, have a delay, if desired, in case you want to allow brief opening of a window or door, (or, better yet, a cancelable wait for all of the trigger contacts to be closed), then, if any trigger contacts are still open, send a notification that %device% is open, or turn on A/C.

By your problem description, I believe you want to trigger on “open”, not changed. Rule Machine is concurrent, and you can get multiple threads running the rule each time a trigger event occurs. That’s why I wrote what I did, so you get into the rule for each sensor only when it opens, don’t get out until the sensor closes.

Do I have to run a rule for open and a separate rule if closed?

does this look correct to turn off and on HVAC?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.