Considering switching from Vera

Eh, vendors can never win.

I don't like paying for the wifi chip in most devices, as I usually use Ethernet for everything. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Most legitimate forms of systems that market themselves as partial "home security" usually don't allow their equipment to rely on a wireless signal, they are hard wired.

However it is noted you pointing out the "pluses" of Vera while simultaneously shopping around to leave Vera. As well as trying to make sense out of these two sentences.

1 Like

:joy:

If one builds reliable and robust zwave and zigbee meshes, Hubitat location is irrelevant. All my hardware is in (or behind) my media cabinet - 2 Hubitat hubs, one SBC used as a coordinator for a second zigbee network, and other related gear.

2 Likes

My hub sits in the one end of the basement. Completely not ideal, but the best I can get without wiring an outlet in somewhere. Otherwise, it would have to be somewhere even worse like behind the TV, in the bathroom, or out in the garage.

It all works fine though, like you said the mesh is everything. A few good repeaters/repeating devices, and all is well.

1 Like

The only reason I am considering leaving Vera is that I want to have a controller without internet access. Other than that I am happy since it meets my fairly simple requirements.

In my household the router is on a different floor and in an inconvenient location. If I want to restart the controller (not often) the controller is in the same room.

Assuming Hubitat (or Vera) is the controller here. With Hubitat, you don't need to be in the same room to restart. In fact, there is no physical button at all to push on the unit itself.