Configure switches to not affect the circuit?

I am 99% positive the answer is "no" since it is likely a hardware thing, but I wanted to ask here just incase...

I have z-wave switches and color changing bulbs, and for now what I have been doing is re-wiring the switch to the light fixture is connected straight to line (instead of the load) and is on 100% of the time. And then within hubitat I give the logic... "when switch pressed -> light bulb on/off"

Is there some configuration on the switch where I could tell it to never change the circuit, just leave it on, but behave only like a button, so I don't have to keep re-wiring switches?

They are GE Enbrighten Switches.

Thanks!

Some switches, i.e. Inovelli, have a parameter that can be set to enable "smart bulb" mode which tells the switch to ignore load change requests. If you have the model number(s) for your switches, you could go to Z-Wave Parameters to see if they support this option.

3 Likes

Several Zooz switches/dimmers have a smart-bulb mode too - another option to consider as Innovelli has some supply issues right now.

I doubt the GE Enbrighten switches have that capability, but I'm not sure - worth checking that out first, of course.

1 Like

They do not

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! Very useful.

It doesn't show that capability under configuration parameters. I'll just keep wiring it like I have been.

Thanks!

1 Like

The only problem is that the way you are wiring them is that if your hub dies, you're lights won't work at all.

That is a valid point, I am not switching every light in the house to color changing so in the rare event the hub gives out there will still be some lights that work.

And I've been using LIFX bulbs that work on hubitat and LIFX app. So I could just switch to using LIFX temporarily until I can fix the hub

1 Like