Conditional actions

I am trying to recreate this rule but all i cannot figure out how to have it run with conditions instead of triggers

all i get is

Any help would be appreciated

The screenshot in your first post is from an earlier version of Rule Machine. If you don't happen to have a cloneable rule from Rule 3.0 (that version) still on your hub, your only option for new rules is the current version, Rule 4.0.

Here's how you could re-do this in 4.0:

Trigger Events: Power level *changed*

Actions to Run:

IF (Power level > 10) THEN
  Set Private Boolean True: This Rule
  Cancel Delayed Actions
ELSE
  IF (Private Boolean is True) THEN
    Delay 0:00:32 (cancelable)
    Notify "Dryer is done!"
    Set Private Boolean False: This Rule
END-IF

That's just me literally translating the logic/flow from Rule 3.0 to 4.0. I'm not saying it's actually a good idea. :slight_smile: The first rule in English is more or less: wait for power to go above 10 W, then when it goes below 10 W, wait for 32 minutes and then notify that the dryer is done, unless power does above 10 W in the meantime, in which case this cycle starts over. This seems a bit odd to me (does the dryer really stay below 10 W for 32 minutes before finishing? I suppose one with no-heat "fluff dry" at the end of a cycle might, but that still seems a bit low of a motor load--and a long time--for that...or is it a gas dryer that only spikes above 10 W when the dryer starts, uses less than that during drying [still seems way low to me...], and they're estimating a 32-minute completion?).

You might have better lucking thinking about this in Rule 4.0 terms from the start. I think there are simpler ways to handle this task. Here's a Rule I wrote in Rule 4.0 for my washing machine--similar idea:

For your dryer, you'd probably have to adjust the power usage (my washer usually spins well above 150 but this is what I found to work well even for "gentle" cycles; it doesn't stay below 10 W for more than a minute, in my experience, between phases of the cycle, but I'm hesitant to use a lower value there because my ZEN15 doesn't always report "0 W" if the change down to 0 wasn't big enough, but my testing so far seems to indicate this is a safe range). That is probably true regardless of which rule above you decide to start with.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, this works perfectly

1 Like