Custom Device Drivers [Wiki]

Yep, being discovered as "device" without issue and then reports status as unknown. I then can set the driver to generic zwave contact and the status changes to active and they report the battery level state but no other state(ie open/closed). Ive tried all the contact style drivers and non report a state on this device for open/close. Interestingly there is no driver listed under the "type' heading for any of the Aeon contact sensors and yet they are listed in this wiki as supported with internal drivers. If I could manually select the correct driver Im assuming that would fix the lack of state information (open/closed). Ive removed them and reset the devices to factory default (long hold on the Aeon devices for 20 secs) and re-added them now several times. They always pair as device.

Any idea why I cant see any of the Aeon contact drivers or recessed door sensor drivers listed under type? Can anyone else see these drivers under type?

I know it sounds absurd, but I’ve seen someone, somewhere mention setting a contact to use a generic motion sensor and it worked for them (I think reporting as active/inactive instead of open/closed). Probably not desired but would be an interesting test.

Thanks, will give that a go. Just noticed release 1.1.0 added the driver for the recessed door sensor ("Added driver for Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor"), but this driver is not listed in the drop down type list and I'm on 1.1.0.120.

Surely this driver should be visible under type?

They said this with the First Alert Smoke Detector as well, but meant it was included in the updated generic driver. See here: 1.1.0.120 update

Tried several of the motion drivers and a whole range of others without accessing a reported state that can be used unfortunately.

Would still like to know what "official drivers" the wiki is referring to for these Aeon devices and why I cant see them listed under type?

Possibly the wiki is wrong and the main Aeon door sensors/contacts actual do not work with any of the official drivers?

I’m out of advice.

Perhaps other community members will chime in soon or @mike.maxwell or @bobbyD with Hubitat.

If you don’t hear anything further in the next day or so, submit a ticket to support@hubitat.com and hopefully they will get it resolved for you.

Are you pressing CONFIGURE after changing the driver to the Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor? Pressing Configure sends data to the devices as to how it should report data to the Hub. Sometimes you have to get the device in a mode that is ready to receive the configuration data.

Yep, sure am, hitting configure and when it appears after that the refresh as well

1 Like

Most drivers report the battery state and occasionally a null state as well. the dome sensor pro drivers reports the most number of states but nothing that varies according to the contact being opened and closed.

Hopefully others will provide feedback otherwise thanks for the advice and I'll log it with the Hubitat guys

Not all of the "Added driver for ..." items on that list were given dedicated drivers, but they should automatically get assigned and work with one of the generic drivers.

Most battery operated devices sleep so they won't receive any commands sent by the Refresh or Configure method so after making changes to the settings you need to manually wake the device up. The device's manual should explain how to wake it up.

I doubt that has anything to do with your problem, but since you're new I thought I should explain that.

I had a really hard time getting the Aeon Recessed Door Sensor GEN2 to detect when it opened/closed, but I must have been putting it in backwards because when I moved the magnet near the bottom of the battery it worked as expected.

If you enable logging for those devices and post the logging data it might make it easier to see what's happening.

1 Like

Thanks for that, they aren't been automapped a driver, just comes up with device before I have to assign a driver.

Which driver do you have assignee for the G2 recessed?

Thanks for the tip on the wake before configure technique. Found that out when I was testing and have the door/window sensor plugged into the miniUSB to keep it alive while fooling around with this.

Sorry newbie question, how do I enable and view the live logger?

Ok, so just found and tried this community driver below which has fixed the issue on both Aeon contact devices and I now have Contact: Open/closed exposed in current states.

So the generic z-wave driver for Aeon contact devices does not work for the models below and the wiki should be updated.

Aeotec Z-Wave Door Window Sensor 6 (sku: ZW112)
Aeotec Z-Wave Recessed Door and Window Sensor (sku: ZW089)

btw still dont know how to access the live logger :frowning:

Right click on LOGS in the left pane, "open in new tab", leave it open in that browser tab for the rest of your life :smiley: That's it. The logs appear as things happen beginning then, not before. When you first open logs, it's always blank. As events occur, they appear on that tab. It opens with "All" and you can click either on the name of each device that has had an event at the top, or on the number on the left of each log record. Hover over the names at the top to see the device/app number that matches the left column.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for that, was expecting to see a history of live logging somewhere, but yes i understand now.

"History" is in the Events link for each individual device.

When Live logs get sluggish switching between devices, refresh the page which clears everything back to blank. Once live logs reach 10's of thousands of records, the web page takes a while to switch between devices or from All to a device.

Add DSC-Envisalink and Bloomsky to the list (code ported over)